[ANN] Gradle 0.1.2 is released

We have done a couple of bug fixes and improvements.

We have the changed the default logging behavior. Ivy is now default (you can switch it to error level via -i)
There is one breaking change. The addIBiblio method of dependencies has been renamed to addMavenRepo. There is also a new version of the user's guide.

Release Notes - Gradle - Version 0.1.2

** Bug    * [GRADLE-48] - Failing integ test under windows leads to consol exit if started via gradlew    * [GRADLE-58] - Windows console closed on build failure    * [GRADLE-63] - Modify header of *nix gradle script
** Improvement    * [GRADLE-41] - Offer a flag to control whether the build should stop when Ivy can't find a dependency.    * [GRADLE-61] - Rename addIBiblio to addMavenRepo    * [GRADLE-65] - Make ivy info log level the default

Re: [ANN] Gradle 0.1.2 is released

Russel Winder-2
Hans,

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:58 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
> We have done a couple of bug fixes and improvements.

> We have the changed the default logging behavior. Ivy is now default
> (you can switch it to error level via -i)
> There is one breaking change. The addIBiblio method of dependencies
> has been renamed to addMavenRepo. There is also a new version of the
> user's guide.

Sorry for raising that one, but it was irritating me :-)

> Release Notes - Gradle - Version 0.1.2
>
> ** Bug    * [GRADLE-48] - Failing integ test under windows leads to
> consol exit if started via gradlew    * [GRADLE-58] - Windows console
> closed on build failure    * [GRADLE-63] - Modify header of *nix
> gradle script
> ** Improvement    * [GRADLE-41] - Offer a flag to control whether the
> build should stop when Ivy can't find a dependency.    * [GRADLE-61] -
> Rename addIBiblio to addMavenRepo    * [GRADLE-65] - Make ivy info log
> level the default
I'm going to be annoying:  I am already irritated by having to download
and install a new version of Gradle.  I really would like to execute
Gradle straight from a Subversion checkout or have a way of installing
Gradle easily from the Subversion checkout.

For SCons there is a bootstrap script which can be used to execute SCons
direct from the Subversion store, this makes working with the latest
version trivial.  For Gant there is a very simple bootstrap install so
working from the Subversion store (or in my case Git or Bazaar store as
I am increasing dissatisfied with Subversion) just requires "ant
install".

So what I need is the instructions for using Gradle from the Subversion
store -- I am guessing this is more like SCons that Gant in this respect
as Gradle carries all it needs in the repository, it just needs a
configuration step.  I guess this is very analogous to Grails where
there is an Ant target to set up a checked out repository to be a usable
installation.

Thanks.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077

Re: [ANN] Gradle 0.1.2 is released

Hi Russel,

On Apr 25, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Russel Winder wrote:

> Hans,
>
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:58 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
>> We have done a couple of bug fixes and improvements.
>
>> We have the changed the default logging behavior. Ivy is now default
>> (you can switch it to error level via -i)
>> There is one breaking change. The addIBiblio method of dependencies
>> has been renamed to addMavenRepo. There is also a new version of the
>> user's guide.
>
> Sorry for raising that one, but it was irritating me :-)
>
>> Release Notes - Gradle - Version 0.1.2
>>
>> ** Bug    * [GRADLE-48] - Failing integ test under windows leads to
>> consol exit if started via gradlew    * [GRADLE-58] - Windows console
>> closed on build failure    * [GRADLE-63] - Modify header of *nix
>> gradle script
>> ** Improvement    * [GRADLE-41] - Offer a flag to control whether the
>> build should stop when Ivy can't find a dependency.    *
>> [GRADLE-61] -
>> Rename addIBiblio to addMavenRepo    * [GRADLE-65] - Make ivy info
>> log
>> level the default
>
> I'm going to be annoying:  I am already irritated by having to
> download
> and install a new version of Gradle.  I really would like to execute
> Gradle straight from a Subversion checkout or have a way of installing
> Gradle easily from the Subversion checkout.

I really appreciate your annoyingness :)

Updating Gradle from svn would be a cool feature. I have files an
issue: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-68

Yet Gradle offers also a pretty convenient way to work with the
latest from head:

Gradle's gradlefile has an install task. To use this task you have to
specify the installDirName property. Probably the best way to do this
is in your users' gradle.properties file. See section 4.4 (Gradle
Properties and System Properties) of the user's guide.

What this task does is to unzip the newly build gradle distribution
using the installDirName as the parent dir. The name for the
installed distribution is gradle-SNAPSHOT. The task also creates a
symbolic link with the name gradle pointing to gradle-SNAPSHOT. My
environment variable GRADLE_HOME is always pointing to the symbolic
link. That way I can easily switch to different versions of Gradle.
But I guess I don't have to tell you this ;). This task has been good
enough for my requirements. I'm happy to improve it and make it more
flexible.

As Gradle has the newest version to build Gradle in SVN, you might
use the ./gradlew to call this install task. Do the wrapper work for
you? They work for me and for the CI machines (windows and linux).

By the way, thanks a lot for recommending the name change from
gradle.groovy to gradlefile.

- Hans

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:02 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:

> I really appreciate your annoyingness :)

:-)

> Updating Gradle from svn would be a cool feature. I have files an
> issue: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-68
>
> Yet Gradle offers also a pretty convenient way to work with the
> latest from head:
>
> Gradle's gradlefile has an install task. To use this task you have to
> specify the installDirName property. Probably the best way to do this
> is in your users' gradle.properties file. See section 4.4 (Gradle
> Properties and System Properties) of the user's guide.
>
> What this task does is to unzip the newly build gradle distribution
> using the installDirName as the parent dir. The name for the
> installed distribution is gradle-SNAPSHOT. The task also creates a
> symbolic link with the name gradle pointing to gradle-SNAPSHOT. My
> environment variable GRADLE_HOME is always pointing to the symbolic
> link. That way I can easily switch to different versions of Gradle.
> But I guess I don't have to tell you this ;). This task has been good
> enough for my requirements. I'm happy to improve it and make it more
> flexible.
Is installDirName the directory in which the distribution will be put or
the directory in which a directory of the distribution will be put.  I
prefer to former since then I am in control of the name of the
distribution directory.  I am almost certain to want to use
$HOME/lib/JavaPackages/gradle-trunk and then I can symbolically link to
it from elsewhere.

I am not sure I would want the Gradle install process to make
assumptions about the directory layout and symbolic link location --
also of course this will fail dismally on Windows.

The alternative is to do what Groovy does which is to not install the
distribution anywhere but just leave it in the build location
target/install and then people can run a simple shell script to copy the
hierarchy wherever they want and set up whatever symbolic links they
want.  I have $HOME/lib/Java/gradle as a link to
$HOME/lib/JavaPackages/gradle-0.1.2 at the moment for example.

> As Gradle has the newest version to build Gradle in SVN, you might
> use the ./gradlew to call this install task. Do the wrapper work for
> you? They work for me and for the CI machines (windows and linux).

I just tried creating $HOME/.gradle/gradle.properties and then running
"gradlew install" from the SUbversion checkout, and it is back to this
bug I mentioned in an earlier private email.  I will set up a JIRA issue
for it and append the files you wanted.

> By the way, thanks a lot for recommending the name change from
> gradle.groovy to gradlefile.

No problem, I'm glad it was a useful suggestion.

On Apr 25, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
[...]

You are right. We gonna change it like this.

I am not sure I would want the Gradle install process to make
assumptions about the directory layout and symbolic link location --

The install task has been tailored for being good enough for my personal needs. Now it has to accommodate the needs of others as well.

also of course this will fail dismally on Windows.

So far that hasn't been an issue ;) It's easy to make the creation of this link to happen not under Windows, but of course we have to do it.

The alternative is to do what Groovy does which is to not install the
distribution anywhere but just leave it in the build location
target/install and then people can run a simple shell script to copy the
hierarchy wherever they want and set up whatever symbolic links they
want.  I have $HOME/lib/Java/gradle as a link to
$HOME/lib/JavaPackages/gradle-0.1.2 at the moment for example.

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to tell you that Gradle is offering this already :). If you execute gradle explodedDist you find a Gradle distribution in:

build/distributions/exploded

I also gonna pick up your suggestion to create a developer info page.

As Gradle has the newest version to build Gradle in SVN, you might
use the ./gradlew to call this install task. Do the wrapper work for
you? They work for me and for the CI machines (windows and linux).

I just tried creating $HOME/.gradle/gradle.properties and then running
"gradlew install" from the SUbversion checkout, and it is back to this
bug I mentioned in an earlier private email.  I will set up a JIRA issue
for it and append the files you wanted.

Have you got any idea why line 38 fails on your machine?

: Unable to delete directory /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/tmpTest
at groovy.util.AntBuilder

The tests try to delete a tmp test directory.

- Hans

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 13:27 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:

> > Is installDirName the directory in which the distribution will be
> > put or
> > the directory in which a directory of the distribution will be put.
> > prefer to former since then I am in control of the name of the
> > distribution directory.  I am almost certain to want to use
> > $HOME/lib/JavaPackages/gradle-trunk and then I can symbolically link
> > it from elsewhere.
>
> You are right. We gonna change it like this.
Splendid :-)

> The install task has been tailored for being good enough for my
> personal needs. Now it has to accommodate the needs of others as well.

A natural evolution, so no problem there.

> > also of course this will fail dismally on Windows.
>
> So far that hasn't been an issue ;) It's easy to make the creation of
> this link to happen not under Windows, but of course we have to do it.

Unfortunately, there are people out there who use Windows -- sadly, well
for them ;-)

> > The alternative is to do what Groovy does which is to not install
> > the
> > distribution anywhere but just leave it in the build location
> > target/install and then people can run a simple shell script to copy
> > the
> > hierarchy wherever they want and set up whatever symbolic links they
> > want.  I have $HOME/lib/Java/gradle as a link to
> > $HOME/lib/JavaPackages/gradle-0.1.2 at the moment for example.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to tell you that Gradle is
> offering this already :). If you execute gradle explodedDist you find
> a Gradle distribution in:
>
> build/distributions/exploded
OK, that seems the best thing.  I can then do a copy from there to my
installation location and set up appropriate symbolic links.

> I also gonna pick up your suggestion to create a developer info page.

It would be useful.

> > I just tried creating $HOME/.gradle/gradle.properties and then
> > running
> > "gradlew install" from the SUbversion checkout, and it is back to
> > this
> > bug I mentioned in an earlier private email.  I will set up a JIRA
> > issue
> > for it and append the files you wanted.
>
> Have you got any idea why line 38 fails on your machine?

My only suggestion is that tmpTest has a directory root and so cannot be
rmdir, you have to rm -rf

On Apr 25, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
[...]

Well, we use the Ant delete task. This is working on our Windows, Linux and Mac boxes.

Could you try to delete this directory /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/tmpTest with an Ant build script?

You can trigger a build of Gradle with -Dtest.skip=true

- Hans

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 15:31 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:

> Well, we use the Ant delete task. This is working on our Windows,
> Linux and Mac boxes.

Not on this Linux box though. :-(

> Could you try to delete this
> directory /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/tmpTest with an
> Ant build script?

The groovy script:

        def ant = new AntBuilder ( )
        def file = new File ( 'tmpTest' )
        println ( file.name )
        ant.delete ( dir : file.name )

deletes things as anticipated.

> You can trigger a build of Gradle with -Dtest.skip=true

I think a bit more work is needed for this to work:

|> ./gradlew -Dtest.skip=true explodedDist
GRADLE_WRAPPER_ALWAYS_UNPACK env variable: null
GRADLE_WRAPPER_ALWAYS_DOWNLOAD env variable: null
Running with System props: ["test.skip=true"]
Recursive: true
Buildfilename: gradlefile
   [delete] Deleting
directory /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/build-resolver
================================================== Start building
buildSrc
No build sources found.
jar:file:/home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/./gradle-wrapper/gradle-dist/gradle-0.1.2-080424160920+0200/lib/ivy-2.0.0.beta2_20080305165542.jar!/org/apache/ivy/core/settings/ivysettings.xml
:: resolving dependencies :: org.gradle#build;SNAPSHOT
        confs: [build]
++++ Starting build for primary task: clean
++ Configuring Project objects
Project=: evaluated.
++ Executing: clean Recursive:true Startproject: :
Executing: :clean
   [delete] Deleting
directory /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build
++++ Starting build for primary task: uploadLibs
++ Configuring Project objects
Project=: evaluated.
++ Executing: uploadLibs Recursive:true Startproject: :
Executing: :init
Executing: :resources
     [copy] Copying 4 files
to /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build/classes
Executing: :compile
:: resolving dependencies :: org.gradle#buildSrc;SNAPSHOT
        confs: [compile]
        found #svnkit;1.1.6 in lib
        found #svnkit-javahl;1.1.6 in lib
  [groovyc] Compiling 16 source files
to /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build/classes
:: resolving dependencies :: org.gradle#buildSrc;SNAPSHOT
        confs: [compile]
        found #svnkit;1.1.6 in lib
        found #svnkit-javahl;1.1.6 in lib
  [groovyc] Compiling 1 source file
to /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build/classes
Executing: :testResources
Executing: :testCompile
:: resolving dependencies :: org.gradle#buildSrc;SNAPSHOT
        confs: [testCompile]
        found #svnkit;1.1.6 in lib
        found #svnkit-javahl;1.1.6 in lib
    [mkdir] Created
dir: /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build/test-classes
  [groovyc] Compiling 1 source file
to /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build/test-classes
:: resolving dependencies :: org.gradle#buildSrc;SNAPSHOT
        confs: [testCompile]
        found #svnkit;1.1.6 in lib
        found #svnkit-javahl;1.1.6 in lib
Executing: :test
:: resolving dependencies :: org.gradle#buildSrc;SNAPSHOT
        confs: [testRuntime]
        found #svnkit;1.1.6 in lib
        found #svnkit-javahl;1.1.6 in lib
    [mkdir] Created
dir: /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/buildSrc/build/test-results
    [junit] Running org.gradle.build.release.VersionTest
    [junit] Tests run: 7, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 1.783
sec
    [junit] Test org.gradle.build.release.VersionTest FAILED

Build aborted anormally.  Run with -s option to get stacktrace. Run with
-d option to get all debug info including stacktrace. Run (additionally)
with -f option to get the full (very verbose) stacktrace
Exception: org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException:
org.gradle.api.GradleException: There were failing tests!
Buildscript=gradlefile No line info available from stacktrace.

Total time: 11 seconds
Exit with error!

On Apr 25, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
Hans,

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 15:31 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:

Well, we use the Ant delete task. This is working on our Windows,
Linux and Mac boxes.

Not on this Linux box though. :-(

Could you try to delete this
directory /home/Checkouts/Subversion/Gradle_Core_Trunk/tmpTest with an
Ant build script?

The groovy script:

        def ant = new AntBuilder ( )
        def file = new File ( 'tmpTest' )
        println ( file.name )
        ant.delete ( dir : file.name )

deletes things as anticipated.

Thanks for checking this. I have to think about this.

You can trigger a build of Gradle with -Dtest.skip=true

I think a bit more work is needed for this to work:

Oops. I mean -Dskip.test=true

- Hans