Quantcast

[ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

123

[ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Hans Dockter-2
We are very excited that the SpringSource STS team has added Gradle support to Eclipse.

The STS team did an absolutely awesome job. Those guys rock. We think the first iteration of this plugin is already serving the most important needs in a very cool way. We collaborated strongly with STS on this effort. The Gradle Eclipse Plugin is using our new tooling API to communicate with Gradle. You can even modify the Gradle model that is send to Eclipse in your Gradle build script. Which opens up a whole wonderland of IDE customizations. For example on large multi-module builds you can generate team-specific Eclipse configurations where you modify what are project dependencies and what are external dependencies in Eclipse based on team membership.

And all this is just the beginning ...

Hans

Founder, Gradle
CEO, Gradleware - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Rene Groeschke
Hi there,
awesome news! congrats to the sts and the gradle team. Just downloaded
my copy.

just in time for the gr8conf next week :-)

regards,
René

--
-----------------------
regards René

rene groeschke
http://www.breskeby.com
@breskeby

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Jason Porter
Excellent work to all! Noe to get JetBrains to create their plugin.

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Russel Winder
On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 09:35 -0600, Jason Porter wrote:
> Excellent work to all! Noe to get JetBrains to create their plugin.

Haven't they already released one?  I have been using Gradle, Maven and
native compilation in IntelliJ IDEA for a while now -- though I have to
admit I still prefer Emacs/Bash to either Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA.

--
Russel.

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 17:24 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
> We are very excited that the SpringSource STS team has added Gradle
> support to Eclipse.

But this only works if you have the whole STS installed -- it isn't an
Eclipse plugin, which is what is really needed.

--
Russel.

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Hans Dockter-2
Hi Russel,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 17:24 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
> We are very excited that the SpringSource STS team has added Gradle
> support to Eclipse.

But this only works if you have the whole STS installed

This is not the case.
-- it isn't an
Eclipse plugin, which is what is really needed.

Please read the installation section.

Hans

Founder, Gradle
CEO, Gradleware - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 18:50 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi Russel,
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 17:24 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
>         > We are very excited that the SpringSource STS team has added
>         Gradle
>         > support to Eclipse.
>

>         But this only works if you have the whole STS installed
>

> This is not the case.
>         -- it isn't an
>         Eclipse plugin, which is what is really needed.
From
http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/installation.html

        Requirements:
              * An instance of STS 2.7.M1 or later based on Eclipse 3.6.

Seems that the need is for a full STS install.

> Please read the installation section.

I did, see above.

The point is that even if you follw the "Eclipse only" install, you
appear to end up installing STS.

--
Russel.

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

andrew.clement
Hey,

The doc needs updating.  You do not require STS, you just require an Eclipse 3.6.  As you have probably seen, further down the page you referenced:

"If you are installing in a plain Eclipse, you will also need to add additional update sites to satisfy some dependencies."

You will pull in some STS componentry that we have dependencies on, but your eclipse won't get 'transformed' into an STS.  This is for UAA purposes.  Currently it does pull in a little more than I'd like and we can reduce it, but we haven't had the cycles to do this yet.

cheers
Andy

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Russel Winder
Andy,

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 11:09 -0700, andrew.clement wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The doc needs updating.  You do not require STS, you just require an Eclipse
> 3.6.  As you have probably seen, further down the page you referenced:

Excellent :-)

> "If you are installing in a plain Eclipse, you will also need to add
> additional update sites to satisfy some dependencies."
>
> You will pull in some STS componentry that we have dependencies on, but your
> eclipse won't get 'transformed' into an STS.  This is for UAA purposes.
> Currently it does pull in a little more than I'd like and we can reduce it,
> but we haven't had the cycles to do this yet.

Good to know -- both points.

If I install now will the extra stuff be ejected when it is not needed?
As I am doing Java, Scala, Groovy, Python, C++, Go, Android, JavaME, and
X10 all in Eclipse, it is currently f$$$$$$ enormous!  Anything that
makes it smaller is good.  On the other hand being able to do native
compilation and Gradle driven compilation is a USP.

--
Russel.

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

andrew.clement
> If I install now will the extra stuff be ejected when it is not needed?

Unfortunately I doubt that will happen (i.e. it won't be actively uninstalled), it will still be around.  However when we stop actively depending on it then it may just be sitting around consuming disk space rather than also memory/cpu :)

If you do try it I'd be interested in any feedback on experiences (positive/negative) with having the extra plugins around.

cheers
Andy

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 11:53 -0700, andrew.clement wrote:
> > If I install now will the extra stuff be ejected when it is not needed?
>
> Unfortunately I doubt that will happen (i.e. it won't be actively
> uninstalled), it will still be around.  However when we stop actively
> depending on it then it may just be sitting around consuming disk space
> rather than also memory/cpu :)

Contrary to popular belief disk space is not an infinite resource.  On
the other hand memory is even more precious.

And, of course, Eclipse seems completely incapable of transferring a set
up from one version to the next so going from 3.6 to 3.7 will require a
reinstall of everything -- very annoying and so inferior compared to
IntelliJ IDEA, but an opportunity to drop stuff.

I'll do the install and give it a spin.

> If you do try it I'd be interested in any feedback on experiences
> (positive/negative) with having the extra plugins around.

All feedback will be Gant-related for now, since GrEclipse and GPars are
currently incompatible :-((

--
Russel.

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Andrew Thorburn
Doesn't work very well for me. I have a bunch of projects (nested up
to 5 levels deep, a total of 21 Gradle projects, 14 of which I
consider 'real' projects), and it can't get the dependencies for any
of them (well, it sets up the other projects correctly, but not the
external libraries).

Now, this is a legacy project that I am looking at moving to Gradle,
and it builds off the command line just fine (gradle clean assemble
works as expected), and I haven't moved all the dependencies over to
Ivy just yet, so they're mostly stored as files in a flat file
structure.

The messages I see being written out are like this:

module not found: #geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0;

==== clientModule: tried

==== internal-repository: tried

==== mms: tried

-- artifact #geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0;!geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0.jar(source):

/home/andrew/[REDACTED]/[PROJ]/[REDACTED]/lib/geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0--sources.jar

/home/andrew/[REDACTED]/[PROJ]/[REDACTED]/lib/geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0-sources.jar

/home/andrew/[REDACTED]/misclib/geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0--sources.jar

/home/andrew/[REDACTED]/misclib/geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0-sources.jar

And that's it. It doesn't tell me it can't find the JAR file, because
of course the actual JAR file exists, and it's looking in the right
place for it. We just don't store the source libraries in SVN (or, in
fact, anywhere at all). So is this error misleading? Or am I required
to have source JARs for the Gradle Plugin to work? Oh, and the path to
the Gradle project I'm importing is totally different to the workspace
I'm pointing Eclipse to, if that makes a different (doesn't seem to
though, as the paths *are* what I expected).

The other problem is that it doesn't seem to handle repository
configurations correctly. It shouldn't be looking the 'mms'
repository, because that's associated with an entirely different
project.

I also see this in the Eclipse error log:

org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Could not fetch model of type
'EclipseProject' using Gradle distribution
'http://repo.gradle.org/gradle/distributions/gradle-1.0-milestone-3-bin.zip'.
at com.springsource.sts.gradle.core.util.ExceptionUtil.coreException(ExceptionUtil.java:59)
at com.springsource.sts.gradle.core.GradleModelProvider$PrefetchingModelProvider.requestModel(GradleModelProvider.java:93)
at com.springsource.sts.gradle.core.GradleProject.getGradleModel(GradleProject.java:317)
at com.springsource.sts.gradle.core.GradleProject.getGradleModel(GradleProject.java:326)
at com.springsource.sts.gradle.core.classpathcontainer.GradleClassPathContainer$1.run(GradleClassPathContainer.java:73)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
Caused by: org.gradle.tooling.BuildException: Could not fetch model of
type 'EclipseProject' using Gradle distribution
'http://repo.gradle.org/gradle/distributions/gradle-1.0-milestone-3-bin.zip'.
at org.gradle.tooling.internal.consumer.ResultHandlerAdapter.onFailure(ResultHandlerAdapter.java:44)
at org.gradle.tooling.internal.consumer.DefaultAsyncConnection$3.run(DefaultAsyncConnection.java:73)
at org.gradle.messaging.concurrent.DefaultExecutorFactory$StoppableExecutorImpl$1.run(DefaultExecutorFactory.java:63)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.gradle.api.LocationAwareException: Could not resolve
all dependencies for configuration 'detachedConfiguration1':
- unresolved dependency: #struts;: not found
[dozen more dependencies that it should be able to resolve]

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know. I can't
provide the actual project, but I might be able to whip up a simpler
example that reproduces the problem.

Thanks,

- Andrew

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Hans Dockter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are very excited that the SpringSource STS team has added Gradle support
> to Eclipse.
> Read here the announcement in the STS
> forum: http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?109183-STS-2.7.0.M1-released
>
> Here is the Gradle Eclipse plugin documentation:
> http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/index.html
> Read here on how to install the Gradle Eclipse
> plugin: http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/installation.html
> The STS team did an absolutely awesome job. Those guys rock. We think the
> first iteration of this plugin is already serving the most important needs
> in a very cool way. We collaborated strongly with STS on this effort. The
> Gradle Eclipse Plugin is using our new tooling API to communicate with
> Gradle. You can even modify the Gradle model that is send to Eclipse in your
> Gradle build script. Which opens up a whole wonderland of IDE
> customizations. For example on large multi-module builds you can generate
> team-specific Eclipse configurations where you modify what are project
> dependencies and what are external dependencies in Eclipse based on team
> membership.
> And all this is just the beginning ...
> Hans
> --
> Hans Dockter
> Founder, Gradle
> http://www.gradle.org, http://twitter.com/gradleware
> CEO, Gradleware - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting
> http://www.gradleware.com

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Andrew Thorburn
On reflection, I haven't tried building it on the command line with
Milestone 3, only Milestone 1, so it's possible there are breaking
changes introduced there that are the cause of this.

- Andrew

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Andrew Thorburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> in a very cool way. We collaborated strongly with STS on this effort. The
>> Gradle Eclipse Plugin is using our new tooling API to communicate with
>> Gradle. You can even modify the Gradle model that is send to Eclipse in your
>> Gradle build script. Which opens up a whole wonderland of IDE
>> customizations. For example on large multi-module builds you can generate
>> team-specific Eclipse configurations where you modify what are project
>> dependencies and what are external dependencies in Eclipse based on team
>> membership.
>> And all this is just the beginning ...
>> Hans
>> --
>> Hans Dockter
>> Founder, Gradle
>> http://www.gradle.org, http://twitter.com/gradleware
>> CEO, Gradleware - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting

Andrew, Hans,

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 11:09 -0700, andrew.clement wrote:

> Hey,
>
> The doc needs updating.  You do not require STS, you just require an Eclipse
> 3.6.  As you have probably seen, further down the page you referenced:
>
> "If you are installing in a plain Eclipse, you will also need to add
> additional update sites to satisfy some dependencies."
>
> You will pull in some STS componentry that we have dependencies on, but your
> eclipse won't get 'transformed' into an STS.  This is for UAA purposes.
> Currently it does pull in a little more than I'd like and we can reduce it,
> but we haven't had the cycles to do this yet.
OK I did an install and it does appear to have installed what has all
the appearance of being all the components of STS (*).  Witness I have
an STS dashboard.

What is UAA?

So now I have it all installed is a build.gradle file supposed to behave
as a pom.xml file does using the Maven integration?

(*)  I should note that I have no idea what STS is supposed to be or do,
but now I do seem to have it.
--
Russel.

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Szczepan Faber
Hey

On reflection, I haven't tried building it on the command line with
Milestone 3, only Milestone 1, so it's possible there are breaking
changes introduced there that are the cause of this.

That's a good idea. Also, does 'gradle eclipse' task work for you fine?

Cheers,
Szczepan

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Andrew Thorburn
Ok, it appears to be a regression in Milestone 3, not with the Eclipse
Plugin. With M1, 'gradle eclipse' runs without errors. With M3, it
explodes because it can't find the source JARs (but it definitely
finds the class file JARs, looking at the debug output). Should I
raise a JIRA about this?

A quick look at the breaking changes for Milestone 2 / 3 don't
indicate any areas I would have thought would break this.

- Andrew

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Szczepan Faber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey
>
>> On reflection, I haven't tried building it on the command line with
>> Milestone 3, only Milestone 1, so it's possible there are breaking
>> changes introduced there that are the cause of this.
>
> That's a good idea. Also, does 'gradle eclipse' task work for you fine?
> Cheers,
> Szczepan

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Szczepan Faber
>Should I raise a JIRA about this?

Yes, please.

>With M3, it explodes because it can't find the source JARs

We had similar problem recently in our build. Would you mind trying out today's snapshot and running gradle eclipse?

Thanks a bunch!
Szczepan

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Andrew Thorburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, it appears to be a regression in Milestone 3, not with the Eclipse
Plugin. With M1, 'gradle eclipse' runs without errors. With M3, it
explodes because it can't find the source JARs (but it definitely
finds the class file JARs, looking at the debug output). Should I
raise a JIRA about this?

A quick look at the breaking changes for Milestone 2 / 3 don't
indicate any areas I would have thought would break this.

- Andrew

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Szczepan Faber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey
>
>> On reflection, I haven't tried building it on the command line with
>> Milestone 3, only Milestone 1, so it's possible there are breaking
>> changes introduced there that are the cause of this.
>
> That's a good idea. Also, does 'gradle eclipse' task work for you fine?
> Cheers,
> Szczepan

Re: [ANN} Gradle Eclipse Plugin

Luke Taylor-5

http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/faq.html#a19

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 14:13 +0100, Luke Taylor wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 10:55, Russel Winder wrote:
>

> > What is UAA?
> >

> http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/faq.html#a19

Oh a "phone home" thing.  Well it is important to say no to that, which
I already did, so that is good.

> > So now I have it all installed is a build.gradle file supposed to behave
> > as a pom.xml file does using the Maven integration?
> >

> http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/faq.html#a1

1.  I don't want to import stuff into STS, I just want Gradle support in
Eclipse like there is Gradle and Maven support in IntelliJ IDEA and
Maven support in Eclipse.

2.  It's all about importing projects again.  I have my Eclipse projects
I don't want to import them anywhere else.

3.  It would be nice if I had the menu shown there.  If I select
build.gradle and go to "Run As" the sub-menu is "label
Configurations . . ." which is not entirely helpful.

And yes I did stop and restart Eclipse so all the stuff downloaded is
installed.

I wonder if it was worth starting this trip down the rabbit hole.
Command lines are good.  Bash is my friend.

--
Russel.

Gradle Eclipse Plugin Improvment

Elmar Kretzer
Hi all,
first of all thanks to the gradle and STS team for providing a eclipse plugin!

we recently migrated all projects to gradle and feel very cozy with it.
One of the things we really appreciate while working with gradle is the ease to configure a eclipse project.
Now we tried to make use of the STS plugin, at first with a mid-size single-project java application.

What we use is the hook in the eclipse plugin - this gave us the possibility to sort all dependencies and source folders.

eclipseClasspath{
whenConfigured { classpath ->
// find all sources
def allSources = classpath.entries.findAll{ it?.kind == "src" }.sort{ it.path }
// change output of test sources
def testSources = allSources.findAll{ it?.path  ==~ /.*test.*/ }.each{ it.output = "bin-test"}
// find "code" sources e.g. sym, core, etc
def sources = allSources - testSources;
// find libs and sort
def remainingClasspath = (classpath.entries - allSources).sort{ it.path.tokenize('/').last().toLowerCase() }
// add both
classpath.entries = sources + testSources + remainingClasspath
//
println " > sorted classpath entries"

Maybe the sorting of dependencies could be an improvement for the STS gradle plugin,
as currently the gradle managed dependencies are not sorted, and hard to overlook.

regards,
Elmar

123