[ANN] Groovy 2.3.5 released, and upward compatibility

[ANN] Groovy 2.3.5 released, and upward compatibility

Guillaume Laforge

Hi all,

The Groovy team is pleased to announce the release of Groovy 2.3.5.

Groovy 2.3.5 is a bug fix release of our Groovy 2.3 branch.

You’ll find fixes for static compilation and type-checking, JSON serialization issues, markup template engine errors, and performance improvements.

We care a lot about backward and binary compatibility, but in this release, we also thought about upward compatibility, so that code compiled with a newer version can even run on an older runtime.

So we leveraged this version to add a new artifact, named groovy-backports-compat23. This artifact shouldn’t be necessary for most of you, but if you face an error like:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.ShortTypeHandling

in your project, then it means that a class has been compiled with Groovy 2.3+ but that you are trying to use it with an older version of Groovy. By adding this jar on classpath, you give a chance to your program to run. This may be particularily interesting for Gradle users that want to use a plugin built on Gradle 2+ on older versions of Gradle and face this error. Adding the following line to their build files should help:

buildscript {

   // ...

   dependencies {

        classpath 'some plugin build on gradle 2'

        classpath 'org.codehaus.groovy:groovy-backports-compat23:2.3.5'

Note that for now, this jar only contains the ShortTypeHandlingClass. Future versions may include more.

You can download Groovy 2.3.5 here:

http://beta.groovy-lang.org/download.html

The detailed JIRA release notes can be found here:

https://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10242&version=20491

Keep on groovy-ing!

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Pivotal, Inc.

[ANN] Groovy 2.3.6 and Groovy 2.4.0-beta-2

Cédric Champeau
Hi all,

A wise man once said it wasn't a good idea to release on Fridays. Maybe we should have followed that advice, because the Groovy team is now announcing the release of Groovy 2.3.6, a few days after 2.3.5!

This version fixes the fact that the distribution missed some key classes for CliBuilder and Groovysh to run (side effect of a fix to have the build run properly on... Windows!), contains a minor fix on collectEntries and eventually fixes the rendering of documentation.

It can be downloaded from here: http://beta.groovy-lang.org/download.html

The release notes can be found here: https://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10242&version=20540

Documentation can be found here: http://docs.groovy-lang.org/2.3.6/

In addition, we are pleased to annouce the second beta for Groovy 2.4.0. This version contains catches up with all the bugfixes included in 2.3.5 and 2.3.6, as well as Android specific fixes. You can find the release notes here: https://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10242&version=20433

It can be downloaded from the same place as 2.3.6: http://beta.groovy-lang.org/download.html

Last but not least, we have numerous bug reports of VerifyErrors on JDK 1.7u65 and JDK 1.8u11. We are aware of those and the OpenJDK team is working on fixes. Meanwhile, we recommand to stick on 7u60 and 8u5.

And for those of you who are attending GR8Conf US, enjoy the conference!

Cédric, on behalf of the Groovy team