Cancelable task execution via Tooling API

Cancelable task execution via Tooling API

alex.ruiz.05
Greetings,

This bug: http://issues.gradle.org/browse/GRADLE-1539 (Tooling API should provide cancelation for long running operations) has a considerable impact on Android Studio:

- The "auto-import" mechanism (IDEA's automatic re-sync when user edits build.gradle files) has to be disabled because without task cancellation, the IDE spawns too many processes, bringing performance to its knees.

- It is not possible to close or restart the IDE while a build is in progress (we have several user complaints about this.)

- The App Engine folks have some other related issue (cc: Appu from App Engine)

It would be great if this bug could be fixed in the next Gradle release. As always we are willing to help in any way possible :-)

Many thanks!
-Alex

Re: Cancelable task execution via Tooling API

Adam Murdoch

On 9 Jan 2014, at 12:55 pm, Alex Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings,

This bug: http://issues.gradle.org/browse/GRADLE-1539 (Tooling API should provide cancelation for long running operations) has a considerable impact on Android Studio:

- The "auto-import" mechanism (IDEA's automatic re-sync when user edits build.gradle files) has to be disabled because without task cancellation, the IDE spawns too many processes, bringing performance to its knees.

- It is not possible to close or restart the IDE while a build is in progress (we have several user complaints about this.)

- The App Engine folks have some other related issue (cc: Appu from App Engine)

It would be great if this bug could be fixed in the next Gradle release. As always we are willing to help in any way possible :-)

It’s pretty high on our list of things to fix. It’s a deep change, so it’ll take a while for us to implement. At this stage, it probably won’t make it into Gradle 1.11. We plan to have made a start on it for Gradle 1.12, but I really can’t promise anything for now.