Color Output of stack traces?

Dave King
Just wondering how hard it would be to add a filter that would color
stack traces such that code that matched some regex like ~ /ideajoy/
would stand out.  We get big stack traces in groovy/gradle land and
I'd love to have my error lines jump out at me.

Has anyone done this?  Should I have posted to Gradle Dev?

- Peace
Dave

Re: Color Output of stack traces?

David Millar
My intuition tells me that it would not be difficult on linux/posix systems, but that it would be difficult, at best, for a platform agnostic solution (windows), unless the environment is PowerShell or Cygwin.  e.g.: thor and capistrano seem to do this well

This would be a valuable feature for me as well.

- Dave

On 05/06/2013, at 9:25 AM, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just wondering how hard it would be to add a filter that would color
stack traces such that code that matched some regex like ~ /ideajoy/
would stand out.  We get big stack traces in groovy/gradle land and
I'd love to have my error lines jump out at me.

Do you mean adding something to Gradle to do this, for the stack traces that are logged by Gradle?

Join us at the Gradle Summit 2013, June 13th and 14th in Santa Clara, CA: http://www.gradlesummit.com

Re: Color Output of stack traces?

Dave King
Adam, yes that's what I'm thinking.  Some filter that can be applied
from gradle to stackraces generated from a javaexec call for
instances.