Contribution beginnings - trying to configure gradle project for IDEA

Contribution beginnings - trying to configure gradle project for IDEA

Paweł Stawicki
Hello,

I found some bug in gradle
(http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/gradle_still_tries_to_figure_out_version_of_dependency_even_if_its_excluded
and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20935891/gradle-cannot-resolve-dependency)
and thought that maybe I'll be able to fix it myself.

So I cloned gradle repository, run "gradle idea" and tried to run
"Gradle" Run Configuration in IDEA. Without luck. I spent few hours
setting module dependencies to exported, added library for core
subproject testFixtures, and now it all fails with Groovyc: Internal
groovyc error: code 1

Anybody here using IDEA for gradle development? Or what most of you
guys use for it?

Best regards
--
Paweł Stawicki
http://pawelstawicki.blogspot.com

Re: Contribution beginnings - trying to configure gradle project for IDEA

Rene Groeschke
Hello Pawel,

I think all current core developer use idea for working on the gradle codebase.
It should be enough to run "./gradlew idea" on the commandline in your gradle repo and then import the project in idea. We noticed issues with Idea13, but it definitely works out of the box with Idea12. If you really want to use Idea13 to work on the gradle you should import it via the IDEA gradle support.

cheers,
René

6 Jan 2014 23:45
[...]

Luke Daley-2

On 6 Jan 2014, at 23:44, Rene Groeschke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Pawel,

I think all current core developer use idea for working on the gradle codebase.
It should be enough to run "./gradlew idea" on the commandline in your gradle repo and then import the project in idea. We noticed issues with Idea13, but it definitely works out of the box with Idea12. If you really want to use Idea13 to work on the gradle you should import it via the IDEA gradle support.

Really? Does this work? I'd be surprised given that we customise the mapping.

cheers,
René

<postbox-contact.jpg>

On 7 Jan 2014, at 8:50, Marcin Erdmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

I remember having problems recently with setting idea project using './gradlew idea'. I couldn't run unit tests and had to change one of the submodules source (testFixtures?)

This was fixed a few weeks ago.

from test source to source and it worked. Out of curiosity I pulled just now and did './gradlew cleanIdea idea', opened the generated project, rebuilt it in IDE which failed with some errors about visibility of fields in some integration test classes (caused by stubs generation?).

It usually complains about setup() methods in specs. No one has been able to work out why.

As I've seen that error before I decided to ignore it and try to run some unit tests and this time the compilation worked.

It almost always works the second time. Strange indeed.

Then I executed Regenerate Int Test image run configuration in IDEA and tried running some integration tests without any problems. I used IDEA 12.1.6. If I try running Gradle run configuration in IDEA I get some runtime errors, but I never used that configuration before and don't even know what it's for...

It's for running Gradle builds with Gradle built from the sources. That is, for debugging while running real builds.