DSL reference usability

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DSL reference usability

Daz DeBoer-2
It's hard to see all of the methods and properties for a DSL type in a single view, due to the fact that the order is:

Properties
Property Details
Methods
Method Details

Seems like it might be nicer to have the Properties and Methods summaries at the top, followed by the 2 details sections. Thoughts? I'd implement this for 1.12 if it's a) a good idea and b) easy enough to do.

Daz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: DSL reference usability

Andrew Goode

For what it’s worth, I, as a Gradle user, would find this very useful.  The DSL docs are a bit difficult to read at-a-glance because of this, and I always thought it strange that they were not more JavaDoc-like.

 

From: Daz DeBoer [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 1:37 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [gradle-dev] DSL reference usability

 

It's hard to see all of the methods and properties for a DSL type in a single view, due to the fact that the order is:

 

Properties

Property Details

Methods

Method Details

 

Seems like it might be nicer to have the Properties and Methods summaries at the top, followed by the 2 details sections. Thoughts? I'd implement this for 1.12 if it's a) a good idea and b) easy enough to do.

 

Daz

 

Andrew Goode   | Technical Architect/Team Lead
Andrew.Goode@...
tel 678-762-6861 | fax 678-338-5957
1200 Lake Hearn Drive, Suite 500, Atlanta, GA  30319
www.nextraq.com
 

 

 

This communication, along with any attachment(s), is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original communication and its attachments without reading, printing or saving in any manner. Thank you.

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DSL reference usability

Adam Murdoch
In reply to this post by Daz DeBoer-2


On 4 Feb 2014, at 5:37 am, Daz DeBoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's hard to see all of the methods and properties for a DSL type in a single view, due to the fact that the order is:

Properties
Property Details
Methods
Method Details

Seems like it might be nicer to have the Properties and Methods summaries at the top, followed by the 2 details sections. Thoughts? I'd implement this for 1.12 if it's a) a good idea and b) easy enough to do.

That would be good, I think.


--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Co-founder
http://www.gradle.org
VP of Engineering, Gradleware Inc. - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting
http://www.gradleware.com



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DSL reference usability

Luke Daley-2
In reply to this post by Daz DeBoer-2

On 4 Feb 2014, at 4:37 am, Daz DeBoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's hard to see all of the methods and properties for a DSL type in a single view, due to the fact that the order is:
>
> Properties
> Property Details
> Methods
> Method Details
>
> Seems like it might be nicer to have the Properties and Methods summaries at the top, followed by the 2 details sections. Thoughts? I'd implement this for 1.12 if it's a) a good idea and b) easy enough to do.

At least Peter and I have tried to do this. I didn't really try that hard though. Would certainly be a good change to make.

--
Luke Daley
Principal Engineer, Gradleware
http://gradleware.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DSL reference usability

Daz DeBoer-2
This change is in - I think it's an improvement when using the DSL guide for discovery.


On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Luke Daley <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 4 Feb 2014, at 4:37 am, Daz DeBoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's hard to see all of the methods and properties for a DSL type in a single view, due to the fact that the order is:
>
> Properties
> Property Details
> Methods
> Method Details
>
> Seems like it might be nicer to have the Properties and Methods summaries at the top, followed by the 2 details sections. Thoughts? I'd implement this for 1.12 if it's a) a good idea and b) easy enough to do.

At least Peter and I have tried to do this. I didn't really try that hard though. Would certainly be a good change to make.

--
Luke Daley
Principal Engineer, Gradleware
http://gradleware.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DSL reference usability

Luke Daley-2
+1

On 7 Feb 2014, at 1:29 pm, Daz DeBoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This change is in - I think it's an improvement when using the DSL guide for discovery.
> eg: http://www.gradle.org/docs/nightly/dsl/org.gradle.nativebinaries.Executable.html
>
>
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Luke Daley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4 Feb 2014, at 4:37 am, Daz DeBoer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It's hard to see all of the methods and properties for a DSL type in a single view, due to the fact that the order is:
> >
> > Properties
> > Property Details
> > Methods
> > Method Details
> >
> > Seems like it might be nicer to have the Properties and Methods summaries at the top, followed by the 2 details sections. Thoughts? I'd implement this for 1.12 if it's a) a good idea and b) easy enough to do.
>
> At least Peter and I have tried to do this. I didn't really try that hard though. Would certainly be a good change to make.
>
> --
> Luke Daley
> Principal Engineer, Gradleware
> http://gradleware.com
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>

--
Luke Daley
Principal Engineer, Gradleware
http://gradleware.com


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email