Deployment to remote web server?

Handyman
Hi,

I'd like to establish a task that deploys web artifacts to a remote jetty instance.  I suspect I may have to figure out a way to wire up the maven cargo plugin (or, more likely, use scp and brute force to restart the server) but I wanted to ask if there was a better way before putting in the effort.

Thanks,
- David

Re: Deployment to remote web server?

Tomek Kaczanowski-3
Hi David,

my guess is, that you should try rather to use Cargo Ant task
(http://cargo.codehaus.org/Ant+support) then Cargo Maven plugin. In
general, Gradle plays nicely with Ant tasks (see
http://www.gradle.org/latest/docs/userguide/userguide_single.html#ant).

--
best regards
Tomek Kaczanowski

2009/8/9 Handyman <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to establish a task that deploys web artifacts to a remote jetty
> instance.  I suspect I may have to figure out a way to wire up the maven
> cargo plugin (or, more likely, use scp and brute force to restart the
> server) but I wanted to ask if there was a better way before putting in the
> effort.
>
> Thanks,
> - David

Re: Deployment to remote web server?

Handyman
Ahh, but only the Maven 2 Cargo plugin is capable to handling remote deployment.  Thanks for your answer -- I think sftp may be the 'easiest' solution and my build structure is already suffering a bit from trying to get build tools to do stuff they weren't designed to (thats why I decided to look into migrating to gradle in the first place).  I probably won't even try to get the Maven 2 Cargo plugin to work because of this but, if I do, I'll post about how it works out.

Thanks again,
- David

Tomek Kaczanowski-3 wrote

2009/8/9 Handyman <davidp99@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to establish a task that deploys web artifacts to a remote jetty
> instance.  I suspect I may have to figure out a way to wire up the maven
> cargo plugin (or, more likely, use scp and brute force to restart the
> server) but I wanted to ask if there was a better way before putting in the
> effort.
>
> Thanks,
> - David

Re: Deployment to remote web server?

Curtis Cooley-3
Capistrano was designed for remote deployment. It's ruby based, but is
where most rails folks go to standardize remote deployment. It should
work for any deployment task. All you need is ssh access to the
servers.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Handyman<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahh, but only the Maven 2 Cargo plugin is capable to handling remote
> deployment.  Thanks for your answer -- I think sftp may be the 'easiest'
> solution and my build structure is already suffering a bit from trying to
> get build tools to do stuff they weren't designed to (thats why I decided to
> look into migrating to gradle in the first place).  I probably won't even
> try to get the Maven 2 Cargo plugin to work because of this but, if I do,
> I'll post about how it works out.
>
> Thanks again,
> - David
>

> Tomek Kaczanowski-3 wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> my guess is, that you should try rather to use Cargo Ant task
>> (http://cargo.codehaus.org/Ant+support) then Cargo Maven plugin. In
>> general, Gradle plays nicely with Ant tasks (see
>> http://www.gradle.org/latest/docs/userguide/userguide_single.html#ant).
>>
>> --
>> best regards
>> Tomek Kaczanowski
>> http://kaczanowscy.pl/tomek
>>
>> 2009/8/9 Handyman <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to establish a task that deploys web artifacts to a remote jetty
>>> instance.  I suspect I may have to figure out a way to wire up the maven
>>> cargo plugin (or, more likely, use scp and brute force to restart the
>>> server) but I wanted to ask if there was a better way before putting in
>>> the
>>> effort.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> - David
>>> --

Curtis Cooley

Re: Deployment to remote web server?

cangetnosleep
FYI: I wrote a Plugin wrapper for JSch to do this from Gradle. It's still in the early stages but is working for me.

https://github.com/moksamedia/mrgadget-gradle-plugin

And the base Groovy project:

https://github.com/moksamedia/MrGadget