Documentation and newbies

DrewHK
Dear Gradle developers!

I have just thrown away Maven from my project because of my frustration. I have known about Gradle already but I hoped that for my simple purposes Maven will be enough (is more "mature" and so on).

I use SCons in a fairly complex build for a C++ project, but I am relatively new to Java builds. To be honest I do not even know how Ant works. Therefore the current documentation of Gradle is not really useful for me. For example Section 2, the "Core tutorial" does not say a word about simple everyday tasks, but it shows a lot of abstract examples about advanced features. I know that Gradle is for comlplex builds, but you should not assume that people figure these simple things out... The SCons user guide is a very good piece of work, I very recommend following its style and structure.

Anyway, I made my choice and I will migrate to Gradle. I hope I will be able to contribute some code to the Gradle community!

Cheers
 -Drew

Re: Documentation and newbies

Hi Drew,

On Jul 18, 2008, at 8:42 PM, DrewHK wrote:

> Dear Gradle developers!
>
> I have just thrown away Maven from my project because of my
> frustration. I
> have known about Gradle already but I hoped that for my simple
> purposes
> Maven will be enough (is more "mature" and so on).
>
> I use SCons in a fairly complex build for a C++ project, but I am
> relatively
> new to Java builds. To be honest I do not even know how Ant works.
> Therefore
> the current documentation of Gradle is not really useful for me.
> For example
> Section 2, the "Core tutorial" does not say a word about simple
> everyday
> tasks, but it shows a lot of abstract examples about advanced
> features. I
> know that Gradle is for comlplex builds, but you should not assume
> that
> people figure these simple things out... The SCons user guide is a
> very good
> piece of work, I very recommend following its style and structure.

I think a good documentation is extremely important. What is needed
is a peer review regarding the structure and the didactic flow of our
user's guide. You may set up a wiki page regarding improving the
user's guide and write down your ideas.

> Anyway, I made my choice and I will migrate to Gradle. I hope I
> will be able
> to contribute some code to the Gradle community!

Welcome. It is an exciting time for build tools. I'm looking forward
to your feedback.