Eclipse Wtp

Hi Phil,

I have a couple of question regarding the Wtp part of your plugin:

1.) xml.'project-modules'(id: 'moduleCoreId', 'project-version':
'1.5.0')

What is this project-version about? Should it be configurable?

2.) 'dependent-module'('deploy-path': '/WEB-INF/lib', handle:
"module:/classpath/lib/${it}")

What is the relative path to the project root dir here? ${it}?

3.) 'dependent-module'('deploy-path': '/WEB-INF/lib', handle:
"module:/resource/${it.getDependencyProject().name}/$
{it.getDependencyProject().name}")

Is this one ${it.getDependencyProject().name} to many?

Cheers,

Re: Eclipse Wtp

I forgot to mention: I have googled a bit and went to the Wtp Home,
but could not find a reference for the wtp xml file. Do you know
where one can find such a reference?

- Hans

On Aug 23, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> I have a couple of question regarding the Wtp part of your plugin:
>
> 1.) xml.'project-modules'(id: 'moduleCoreId', 'project-version':
> '1.5.0')
>
> What is this project-version about? Should it be configurable?
>
> 2.) 'dependent-module'('deploy-path': '/WEB-INF/lib', handle:
> "module:/classpath/lib/${it}")
>
> What is the relative path to the project root dir here? ${it}?
>
> 3.) 'dependent-module'('deploy-path': '/WEB-INF/lib', handle:
> "module:/resource/${it.getDependencyProject().name}/$
> {it.getDependencyProject().name}")
>
> Is this one ${it.getDependencyProject().name} to many?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Hans
>
> --
> Hans Dockter
> Gradle Project lead

Re: Eclipse Wtp

Phil Messenger
Hi Hans,

Sorry for the slight delay - I've been away for a few days. Answers to your questions below:

hdockter wrote
Hi Phil,

I have a couple of question regarding the Wtp part of your plugin:

1.) xml.'project-modules'(id: 'moduleCoreId', 'project-version':
'1.5.0')

What is this project-version about? Should it be configurable?
This specifies the version of WTP in use. 1.5 corresponds to the version of WTP in Eclipse 3.2. This is forward compatible (I'm using the generated WTP files in Eclipse 3.4). It's possible in the future that these will no longer be compatible, in which case it'll be necessary to supply a version number to the plugin. The maven eclipse plugin does this to support very old versions of WTP.

hdockter wrote
2.) 'dependent-module'('deploy-path': '/WEB-INF/lib', handle:
"module:/classpath/lib/${it}")

What is the relative path to the project root dir here? ${it}?
This actually tells eclipse where to find the dependencies of the project (jar files) and maps them into the WEB-INF/lib folder so the app server can find them. It is an absolute path and the classpath/lib/ bit is required. For example:

<dependent-module deploy-path='/WEB-INF/lib' handle='module:/classpath/lib//home/phil/.gradle/cache/org.hibernate/hibernate-commons-annotations/jars/hibernate-commons-annotations-3.3.0.ga.jar'>

hdockter wrote
3.) 'dependent-module'('deploy-path': '/WEB-INF/lib', handle:
"module:/resource/${it.getDependencyProject().name}/$
{it.getDependencyProject().name}")

Is this one ${it.getDependencyProject().name} to many?
Again this is a slightly bizzare bit of WTP behaviour that maps a resource (ie. a project) into the WEB-INF/lib folder. I'm unsure why I have to repeat the project name, but it works and Eclipse does the same thing if adding projects via the UI.

For example, in the project "SiteControl", I have sibling projected called "SiteControl-interface" which contains a load of Java interface definitions. The SiteControl project is therefore dependent on the SiteControl-interface project, but the interface project is not dependent on the SiteControl project (just as well, Eclipse doesn't work with cyclic project dependencies). In my SiteControl wtp file, the following line is generated:

<dependent-module deploy-path='/WEB-INF/lib' handle='module:/resource/SiteControl-interface/SiteControl-interface'>

This means that the generated classes in the SiteControl-interface project are added as a virtual library in the WEB-INF/lib folder.

hope this helps,

Phil.