Emacs editing modes

Russel Winder-2
I don't know if anyone other than me is using Emacs to edit Gradle
files . . .

Is there a need for a Gradle mode (as a sub-mode of Groovy mode?) or are
people happy using a Groovy mode?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner

Re: Emacs editing modes

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen
Russel Winder <[hidden email]> writes:

> I don't know if anyone other than me is using Emacs to edit Gradle
> files . . .

Yes

> Is there a need for a Gradle mode (as a sub-mode of Groovy mode?)

Would be nice

> or are people happy using a Groovy mode?

No :-) I haven't spent a lot of time trying to configure it, but it seems
like indentation doesn't really work well for me. And it gets confused
(I think) about the gradle task syntax.

/Jeppe

Re: Emacs editing modes

Russel Winder-2
On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 11:46 +0100, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
> Russel Winder <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I don't know if anyone other than me is using Emacs to edit Gradle
> > files . . .
>
> Yes

Excellent.  Emacs will eventually take over the world, Eclipse's days
are numbered ;-)

> > Is there a need for a Gradle mode (as a sub-mode of Groovy mode?)
>
> Would be nice

OK, let's put it on the agenda.  We have an evolving Groovy mode, there
is a Grails mode build on it, so having a Gradle mode makes lots of
sense.

Groovy mode is developed with Bazaar, Grails mode with Git.  I'd prefer
to do a Gradle mode with Bazaar but I guess whatever happens has to fit
with the overall infrastructure.

> > or are people happy using a Groovy mode?
>
> No :-) I haven't spent a lot of time trying to configure it, but it seems
> like indentation doesn't really work well for me. And it gets confused
> (I think) about the gradle task syntax.

I think we need a record other than email of the problems, this means
starting something new.  Until there is a Gradle mode project and issue
tracker, perhaps put things on the Groovy issue tracker using the "Emacs
mode" component.

I think I'd like Hans to express a view on where this should all happen.

Thanks.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: [hidden email]
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:[hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder

Re: Emacs editing modes

Hi Russel,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 11:46 +0100, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
> Russel Winder <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I don't know if anyone other than me is using Emacs to edit Gradle
> > files . . .
>
> Yes

Excellent.  Emacs will eventually take over the world, Eclipse's days
are numbered ;-)

> > Is there a need for a Gradle mode (as a sub-mode of Groovy mode?)
>
> Would be nice

OK, let's put it on the agenda.  We have an evolving Groovy mode, there
is a Grails mode build on it, so having a Gradle mode makes lots of
sense.

Groovy mode is developed with Bazaar, Grails mode with Git.  I'd prefer
to do a Gradle mode with Bazaar but I guess whatever happens has to fit
with the overall infrastructure.

> > or are people happy using a Groovy mode?
>
> No :-) I haven't spent a lot of time trying to configure it, but it seems
> like indentation doesn't really work well for me. And it gets confused
> (I think) about the gradle task syntax.

I think we need a record other than email of the problems, this means
starting something new.  Until there is a Gradle mode project and issue
tracker, perhaps put things on the Groovy issue tracker using the "Emacs
mode" component.

I think I'd like Hans to express a view on where this should all happen.

You might start it on Launchpad :) Then we see how it evolves and at one point merge it into the core repository.

Unfortunately we don't have any Gradle sandbox infrastructure yet.

Gradle Project Manager

Re: Emacs editing modes

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Russel,
>
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Russel Winder
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Yes
>>
>> Excellent.  Emacs will eventually take over the world, Eclipse's days
>> are numbered ;-)

>> > Would be nice
>>
>> OK, let's put it on the agenda.  We have an evolving Groovy mode, there
>> is a Grails mode build on it, so having a Gradle mode makes lots of
>> sense.
>>
>> Groovy mode is developed with Bazaar, Grails mode with Git.  I'd prefer
>> to do a Gradle mode with Bazaar but I guess whatever happens has to fit
>> with the overall infrastructure.

>> > No :-) I haven't spent a lot of time trying to configure it, but it
>> > seems
>> > like indentation doesn't really work well for me. And it gets confused
>> > (I think) about the gradle task syntax.
>>
>> I think we need a record other than email of the problems, this means
>> starting something new.  Until there is a Gradle mode project and issue
>> tracker, perhaps put things on the Groovy issue tracker using the "Emacs
>> mode" component.
>>
>> I think I'd like Hans to express a view on where this should all happen.
>
> You might start it on Launchpad :) Then we see how it evolves and at one
> point merge it into the core repository.
>
> Unfortunately we don't have any Gradle sandbox infrastructure yet.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anything happen on a Gradle
mode or is Groovy mode still the best choice?

/Jeppe

Re: Emacs editing modes

Russel Winder
On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 09:36 +0100, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anything happen on a Gradle
> mode or is Groovy mode still the best choice?

As far as I am aware there is no Gradle Mode.  There hasn't been any
recent developments on the Groovy Mode, but neither have there been bug
reports.  I don't think anyone uses the Grails Mode -- at least there
have been no bug reports.

I guess the status quo doesn't have anyone with sufficient irritation to
get motivated to do anything!

--
Russel.

Re: Emacs editing modes

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 09:36 +0100, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>> Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anything happen on a Gradle
>> mode or is Groovy mode still the best choice?
>
> As far as I am aware there is no Gradle Mode.  There hasn't been any
> recent developments on the Groovy Mode, but neither have there been bug
> reports.  I don't think anyone uses the Grails Mode -- at least there
> have been no bug reports.
>
> I guess the status quo doesn't have anyone with sufficient irritation to
> get motivated to do anything!

I just installed Groovy mode again and it works much better than I recall :-)

I'll keep and eye out for any major issues...

/Jeppe

Re: Emacs editing modes

Russel Winder
On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 16:02 +0100, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I just installed Groovy mode again and it works much better than I recall :-)

That'll be due to all of Jim Morris' efforts.

> I'll keep and eye out for any major issues...

For now Emacs Groovy Mode bugs just piggy-back on the Groovy JIRA with
module "Emacs Mode".

--
Russel.