Encoding Problem with Gradle 1.3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Encoding Problem with Gradle 1.3

Rene Groeschke
Hi Devs,

we got multiple reports in our forum about encoding problems when
running gradle 1.3.
(http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/gradle_1_3_wrapper_java_io_unsupportedencodingexception)
I've raised http://issues.gradle.org//browse/GRADLE-2564 for this
problem already. Having a look on the stacktraces, it seems that
native-platform has problems with some encodings. I cant reproduce this
on my machine and I'm not aware of a workaround for this. If there is no
workaround available, this is definitely a blocker for some of our users.

I havn't digged to deep into the native-platform code to find the root
cause for this.

@Adam can you have a look on this?

cheers!
René
--
Principal Engineer,
Gradleware Inc. - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting
[hidden email]
http://gradleware.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encoding Problem with Gradle 1.3

evgenyg
Hi,

I could reproduce it reliably yesterday, when SSH-ing to Jiffybox servers and running gradlew there. Let me know if this can be of any help.
Taking the project back to 1.2 solved the problem.



On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Rene Groeschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

we got multiple reports in our forum about encoding problems when running gradle 1.3. (http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/gradle_1_3_wrapper_java_io_unsupportedencodingexception)
I've raised http://issues.gradle.org//browse/GRADLE-2564 for this problem already. Having a look on the stacktraces, it seems that native-platform has problems with some encodings. I cant reproduce this on my machine and I'm not aware of a workaround for this. If there is no workaround available, this is definitely a blocker for some of our users.

I havn't digged to deep into the native-platform code to find the root cause for this.

@Adam can you have a look on this?

cheers!
René
--
Principal Engineer,
Gradleware Inc. - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting
[hidden email]
http://gradleware.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Best regards,
Evgeny
evgeny-goldin.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encoding Problem with Gradle 1.3

Adam Murdoch
In reply to this post by Rene Groeschke

On 22/11/2012, at 9:13 PM, Rene Groeschke wrote:

Hi Devs,

we got multiple reports in our forum about encoding problems when running gradle 1.3. (http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/gradle_1_3_wrapper_java_io_unsupportedencodingexception)
I've raised http://issues.gradle.org//browse/GRADLE-2564 for this problem already. Having a look on the stacktraces, it seems that native-platform has problems with some encodings. I cant reproduce this on my machine and I'm not aware of a workaround for this. If there is no workaround available, this is definitely a blocker for some of our users.

Some workarounds:
* Tweak your LANG environment variable to include an encoding: e.g. change en_AU to en_AU.UTF-8
* Run Gradle with GRADLE_OPTS=-Dorg.gradle.native=false to disable the new native stuff (but don't forget to remove it after you upgrade to Gradle 1.4). The switch has to be in GRADLE_OPTS, it won't work if you run gradle -Dorg.gradle.native=false or add it to your gradle.properties.
* Wait for a Gradle snapshot with a fix in the near future.


--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Co-founder
http://www.gradle.org
VP of Engineering, Gradleware Inc. - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting
http://www.gradleware.com