Extremely Long HEAD Requests for Non-Existent JARs

Extremely Long HEAD Requests for Non-Existent JARs

James Carr
I'm cross posting this to gradle and artifactory as I'm not 100% on
what side of the fence the issue lies.

On few of our machines running gradle 1.0 some projects have been
resolving extremely slow (up to half an hour when they normally
resolve in 1 minute). Running gradle with --debug on reveals that the
major holdups happen making jar, source.jar and javadoc.jar requests
for parent pom artifacts like this:

13:51:48.044 [DEBUG]
[org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnection] Sending request:
HEAD /all/asm/asm-paren
r HTTP/1.1
13:51:48.051 [DEBUG] [org.apache.http.headers] >> HEAD
/all/asm/asm-parent/3.3.1/asm-parent-3.3.1.jar HTTP/1.1

Is there anyway to stop this? I'm guessing artifactory is looking
across all the repositories for this before erroring out but it
doesn't make much sense as to why gradle would be requesting jars for
parent pom artifacts. :S

Thanks,
James

Re: Extremely Long HEAD Requests for Non-Existent JARs

Daz DeBoer-2
On 17 July 2012 12:55, James Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

What version of Gradle?
What task are you running? (The source and javadoc jars should only be requested when running one of the IDE tasks).
We need to request the parent pom artifacts because there is no way for us to know if such an artifact exists for a maven module with packaging = 'pom'. So we use a HEAD request to see if such an artifact exists. Once this module has been resolved, the result should be cached.

--
Darrell (Daz) DeBoer