Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

Russel Winder-3
HI,

Looking for some feedback and possibly new information.

Gradle has plugins for creating Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA projects, but
not NetBeans ones, at least I am guessing this is still the case.

The NetBeans Gradle plugin means that a Gradle NetBeans plugin is not
required, and indeed makes NetBeans a good choice for a Gradle managed
project since there are no project files at all.

IntelliJ IDEA seems now to be able to work with Gradle managed projects
without first creating a set of project files. This appears to make the
Gradle IDEA plugin redundant? Or am I missing something?

Eclipse remains the main player in corporate Java use, though NetBeans
and IntelliJ IDEA do have some penetration. For all training courses, it
is generally assumed Eclipse will be used.  I think there being an
Eclipse Gradle plugin is a better idea that using a Gradle Eclipse
plugin – the reason being that then there are no permanent project files
cluttering everything up.  Is anyone working on an Eclipse Gradle
plugin?

Thanks.

--
Russel.

Re: Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

Daz DeBoer-2
On 12 January 2013 10:34, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI,

Looking for some feedback and possibly new information.

Gradle has plugins for creating Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA projects, but
not NetBeans ones, at least I am guessing this is still the case.

The NetBeans Gradle plugin means that a Gradle NetBeans plugin is not
required, and indeed makes NetBeans a good choice for a Gradle managed
project since there are no project files at all.

IntelliJ IDEA seems now to be able to work with Gradle managed projects
without first creating a set of project files. This appears to make the
Gradle IDEA plugin redundant? Or am I missing something?

Both are useful. Gradle devs use the Gradle IDEA plugin. Others like the direct ide import of the IDEA Gradle plugin.

Daz

Re: Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

Russel Winder-3
Daz,

On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 15:39 -0700, Daz DeBoer wrote:
[…]
> Both are useful. Gradle devs use the Gradle IDEA plugin. Others like the
> direct ide import of the IDEA Gradle plugin.

I'll have a play with both then, sounds like it is a "personal
preference" issue rather than a technical one.

[…]
> Yes there is already a functional plugin for STS:
> http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/installation.html

Hummm… it is a bit irritating to have to load the whole of STS just to
get a Gradle plugin. I'll have a play. Thanks for the pointer.

--
Russel.

Re: Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

Russel Winder-3
On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 15:39 -0700, Daz DeBoer wrote:
[…]
> http://static.springsource.org/sts/docs/2.7.0.M1/reference/html/gradle/installation.html
[…]

Pity there is no mention of Eclipse 4.2 on this page!
--
Russel.

Re: Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

Kendall Shaw
On 01/12/2013 09:34 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> IntelliJ IDEA seems now to be able to work with Gradle managed projects
> without first creating a set of project files. This appears to make the
> Gradle IDEA plugin redundant? Or am I missing something?

I haven't used the idea plugin. But, it seems like it would be useful
for creating idea projects without having to launch idea and without
making your project dependent on idea.

Unless it is obviously short lived, I act as if my projects will outlive
the techology that it is using. So, I avoid tying a project to an IDE or
to the existence of a third party external website, or independent
repository.

Unless I am not understanding, I think the idea plugin is a convience
for users who want to us idea. It doesn't make your project depend on it.

Kendall

Re: Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

kdvolder
The STS gradle page pointed to earlier is a bit outdated. That was the first version of the plugins released publically. Nowadays the project is open sourced and hosted at github. So better to take a look here for more current information.

https://github.com/SpringSource/eclipse-integration-gradle

And yes it should work on Eclipse 4.x.

The gradle plugins for Eclipse now also do not have as strong dependencies on STS anymore and can
easily be installed separately into a plain Eclipse.

Kris

> On 01/12/2013 09:34 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> > IntelliJ IDEA seems now to be able to work with Gradle managed
> > projects
> > without first creating a set of project files. This appears to make
> > the
> > Gradle IDEA plugin redundant? Or am I missing something?
>
> I haven't used the idea plugin. But, it seems like it would be useful
> for creating idea projects without having to launch idea and without
> making your project dependent on idea.
>
> Unless it is obviously short lived, I act as if my projects will
> outlive
> the techology that it is using. So, I avoid tying a project to an IDE
> or
> to the existence of a third party external website, or independent
> repository.
>
> Unless I am not understanding, I think the idea plugin is a convience
> for users who want to us idea. It doesn't make your project depend on
> it.
>
> Kendall

Re: Gradle, Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans

kdvolder
On the topic of using 'gradle-eclipse' or 'eclipse-gradle' plugins :-)

I'd say that ideally the IDE can just use the tooling API and import projects without
project owners doing anything special to make that possible.

But in practice the tooling API is still too limited to make that reality for all types of
projects. The 'gradle-eclipse' plugin in Gradle is much more developed, and it is also
easier for gradle-users to write some gradle code and extend the functionality when it doesn't
work exactly right for their particular project's needs.

So I'd say if your project works well without the gradle-eclipse plugin, then that's
preferable. But for many real project's unfortunately I don't think that will be
true today.

So I guess my answer is, we probably need both for the foreseeable future.

And as a tool developer (I work on the STS gradle plugin) I try to support both types
of projects (those that explicitly use gradle-eclipse plugin and those that do not).

Kris

> The STS gradle page pointed to earlier is a bit outdated. That was
> the first version of the plugins released publically. Nowadays the
> project is open sourced and hosted at github. So better to take a
> look here for more current information.
>
> https://github.com/SpringSource/eclipse-integration-gradle
>
> And yes it should work on Eclipse 4.x.
>
> The gradle plugins for Eclipse now also do not have as strong
> dependencies on STS anymore and can
> easily be installed separately into a plain Eclipse.
>
> Kris

Schalk Cronjé
 From a STS user point of view, gradle-eclipse feels a more like a
bolt-on than a plugin. This is no major criticism, but just a comment
that it is not as slick as I would like it to be. I have noticed that a
couple of newcomers to gradle-eclipse (some very experienced in Eclipse
and some not at all), voiced the same kind of opinion.

The two primary topics are always:

[1] the need to run eclipseClassPath target before doing JUnit or Debug
within Eclipse.

[2] When a Gradle build fails, there is no parser which can populate the
errors view.

Besides that, it works well for me - not an Eclipse power user.

On 14/01/2013 16:56, Kris De Volder wrote:

> On the topic of using 'gradle-eclipse' or 'eclipse-gradle' plugins :-)
>
> I'd say that ideally the IDE can just use the tooling API and import projects without
> project owners doing anything special to make that possible.
>
> But in practice the tooling API is still too limited to make that reality for all types of
> projects. The 'gradle-eclipse' plugin in Gradle is much more developed, and it is also
> easier for gradle-users to write some gradle code and extend the functionality when it doesn't
> work exactly right for their particular project's needs.
>
> So I'd say if your project works well without the gradle-eclipse plugin, then that's
> preferable. But for many real project's unfortunately I don't think that will be
> true today.
>
> So I guess my answer is, we probably need both for the foreseeable future.
>
> And as a tool developer (I work on the STS gradle plugin) I try to support both types
> of projects (those that explicitly use gradle-eclipse plugin and those that do not).
>
> Kris

Schalk W. Cronjé
@ysb33r

On 14 January 2013 09:56, Kris De Volder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On the topic of using 'gradle-eclipse' or 'eclipse-gradle' plugins :-)

I'd say that ideally the IDE can just use the tooling API and import projects without
project owners doing anything special to make that possible.

But in practice the tooling API is still too limited to make that reality for all types of
projects. The 'gradle-eclipse' plugin in Gradle is much more developed, and it is also
easier for gradle-users to write some gradle code and extend the functionality when it doesn't
work exactly right for their particular project's needs.

So I'd say if your project works well without the gradle-eclipse plugin, then that's
preferable. But for many real project's unfortunately I don't think that will be
true today.

So I guess my answer is, we probably need both for the foreseeable future.

The plugins work well together: the gradle-eclipse plugin adds hooks that can be used to customise the resulting project, and these customisations are honoured by the eclipse-gradle plugin. So as Kris notes, there are many projects that require the 'gradle eclipse plugin' to be configured in order for the Eclipse gradle plugin to function correctly.

Daz