Gradle Eclipse and warResourceMappings

Hi Phil,

what are the warResourceMappings in your EclipsePlugin about? Sorry
if this is a stupid question, but I have no experience with Eclipse
WTP files.

Re: Gradle Eclipse and warResourceMappings

Phil Messenger
Hans,

First some background... Eclipse has a set of plugins (collectively known as the Web Tools Project - WTP) which provide support for JEE development. One of the most useful areas of functionality is support for various servlet containers. You can run your web apps inside the IDE with full support for hot code replace etc. Importantly WTP seamlessly manages the behind the scenes exploded webapp stuff so you don't need to fuss around with building wars all the time.

Now as you know, your average JEE web app has a load of stuff that ends up under the WEB-INF folder. I'm not a fan of putting configuration files (spring xml files, localisation files etc) in the src/main/webapp/WEB-INF folder, rather they were in a dedicated conf folder. Doing this means that to get WTP to work, you have to tell it to "map" the files in your dedicated conf folder into the WEB-INF folder. This is what I use the warResourceMappings bit for.

Hope that's clear enough - I mention another use as a comment on the jira issue.

Phil.

hdockter wrote

On Aug 21, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Phil Messenger wrote:

> Hans,
>
> First some background... Eclipse has a set of plugins (collectively
> known as
> the Web Tools Project - WTP) which provide support for JEE
> development. One
> of the most useful areas of functionality is support for various
> servlet
> containers. You can run your web apps inside the IDE with full
> support for
> hot code replace etc. Importantly WTP seamlessly manages the behind
> the
> scenes exploded webapp stuff so you don't need to fuss around with
> building
> wars all the time.
>
> Now as you know, your average JEE web app has a load of stuff that
> ends up
> under the WEB-INF folder. I'm not a fan of putting configuration files
> (spring xml files, localisation files etc) in the src/main/webapp/
> WEB-INF
> folder, rather they were in a dedicated conf folder. Doing this
> means that
> to get WTP to work, you have to tell it to "map" the files in your
> dedicated
> conf folder into the WEB-INF folder. This is what I use the
> warResourceMappings bit for.

That makes sense now to me.

Before I switched from Eclipse to IntelliJ I have always installed
Wtp, but only to get the XML editor :)

- Hans