Quantcast

Gradle first steps and create project

Bruno Bonacci
Hi guys,

I'm moving first steps with Gradle, and I like the whole idea of Convention over Configuration (CoC) but with the possibility to script what you need with groovy.
Ant is too boring as you have to repeat the same scripts for every project,
Maven is too strict as if you have to script some precise actions you have somehow to work around with ant tasks attached to phases.

Although I'm pretty happy about the idea, I was quite surprised to do not find a *create project* command.
something like:

gradle create-project <project-name>

that creates the standard directories. Sometime with maven a lot of time is lost because people uses different directory layout than http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Ideally we can have something similar to the archetypes or simply:

gradle create-project myproject plugin:groovy
gradle create-project myproject plugin:java
gradle create-project myproject plugin:grails

(to show few examples) and gradle will delegate the create project to the specific plugin.

the result of this operation would be:
- a directory called as the project name (myproject in above example)
- a 'helloworld' type of class
- a unit test for helloworld class
- a fully-functioning gradle build script for that project.

I'n my opinion this will help everyone that wants to start using gradle for new projects development.

what's your opinion guys?

regards
Bruno

Re: Gradle first steps and create project

Dierk König
+1

Dierk

Am 22.12.2010 um 18:12 schrieb Bruno Bonacci:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm moving first steps with Gradle, and I like the whole idea of Convention
> over Configuration (CoC) but with the possibility to script what you need
> with groovy.
> Ant is too boring as you have to repeat the same scripts for every project,
> Maven is too strict as if you have to script some precise actions you have
> somehow to work around with ant tasks attached to phases.
>
> Although I'm pretty happy about the idea, I was quite surprised to do not
> find a *create project* command.
> something like:
>
> gradle create-project <project-name>
>
> that creates the standard directories. Sometime with maven a lot of time is
> lost because people uses different directory layout than
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>
> Ideally we can have something similar to the archetypes or simply:
>
> gradle create-project myproject plugin:groovy
> gradle create-project myproject plugin:java
> gradle create-project myproject plugin:grails
>
> (to show few examples) and gradle will delegate the create project to the
> specific plugin.
>
> the result of this operation would be:
> - a directory called as the project name (myproject in above example)
> - a 'helloworld' type of class
> - a unit test for helloworld class
> - a fully-functioning gradle build script for that project.
>
> I'n my opinion this will help everyone that wants to start using gradle for
> new projects development.
>
> what's your opinion guys?
>
> regards
> Bruno

Re: Gradle first steps and create project

Tomek Kaczanowski-3
Please create a JIRA issue. This feature was discussed few times but
never ended up on JIRA. Once it is there we can vote to show our
interest.

--
Regards / Pozdrawiam
Tomek Kaczanowski

2010/12/22 Dierk König <[hidden email]>:

> +1
>
> Dierk
>
> Am 22.12.2010 um 18:12 schrieb Bruno Bonacci:
>

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm moving first steps with Gradle, and I like the whole idea of Convention
>> over Configuration (CoC) but with the possibility to script what you need
>> with groovy.
>> Ant is too boring as you have to repeat the same scripts for every project,
>> Maven is too strict as if you have to script some precise actions you have
>> somehow to work around with ant tasks attached to phases.
>>
>> Although I'm pretty happy about the idea, I was quite surprised to do not
>> find a *create project* command.
>> something like:
>>
>> gradle create-project <project-name>
>>
>> that creates the standard directories. Sometime with maven a lot of time is
>> lost because people uses different directory layout than
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>>
>> Ideally we can have something similar to the archetypes or simply:
>>
>> gradle create-project myproject plugin:groovy
>> gradle create-project myproject plugin:java
>> gradle create-project myproject plugin:grails
>>
>> (to show few examples) and gradle will delegate the create project to the
>> specific plugin.
>>
>> the result of this operation would be:
>> - a directory called as the project name (myproject in above example)
>> - a 'helloworld' type of class
>> - a unit test for helloworld class
>> - a fully-functioning gradle build script for that project.
>>
>> I'n my opinion this will help everyone that wants to start using gradle for
>> new projects development.
>>
>> what's your opinion guys?
>>
>> regards
>> Bruno

Re: Gradle first steps and create project

paulcager
I'd also be interested in this feature, so I've created Jira issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-1289.