Gradle or Buildr?

Sten Roger Sandvik
Hi.

I am a heavy Maven 2 user but lately I have been really tired of it. Been looking at both gradle and buildr for some time now. Tried both gradle and buildr in some real world settings. Right now I am favouring buildr since it gives me a good feeling to have control over my build. But for me it seems that the gradle community is bigger and more active than buildr. That is just my feeling.

In my build I have the need of building jars, wars and osgi modules. Could someone give me a nice overview of pros/cons about gradle vs buildr?

BR,
Sten Roger Sandvik

BTW, this is also posted on the buildr mailing list.

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

Adam Murdoch-2

Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am a heavy Maven 2 user but lately I have been really tired of it.
> Been looking at both gradle and buildr for some time now. Tried both
> gradle and buildr in some real world settings. Right now I am
> favouring buildr since it gives me a good feeling to have control over
> my build.

I'm curious what you feel you don't have control over with Gradle. Do
you have some examples? I'm pretty confident that whatever Buildr offers
you in this respect, Gradle offers equivalent options.

Gradle Developer

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

Sten Roger Sandvik

Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
Hi.

I am a heavy Maven 2 user but lately I have been really tired of it. Been looking at both gradle and buildr for some time now. Tried both gradle and buildr in some real world settings. Right now I am favouring buildr since it gives me a good feeling to have control over my build.

I'm curious what you feel you don't have control over with Gradle. Do you have some examples? I'm pretty confident that whatever Buildr offers you in this respect, Gradle offers equivalent options.

I have looked at gradle some more now and feel that I have more control. The only think I wish for (before considering moving from Maven) is the following.

  * Osgi plugin that does the same as Felix Maven Plugin. It seems to me that the current osgi plugin is just manipulating the manifest. Are there
any plans?
  * A good gwt plugin - gwt compile/run. This is simple enough since it has a ant task.
  * Better speed. Seems that version 0.8 is slow. Do not know why though.

/srs

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

Jason Porter
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 08:00, Sten Roger Sandvik <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am a heavy Maven 2 user but lately I have been really tired of it. Been
>>> looking at both gradle and buildr for some time now. Tried both gradle and
>>> buildr in some real world settings. Right now I am favouring buildr since it
>>> gives me a good feeling to have control over my build.
>>
>> I'm curious what you feel you don't have control over with Gradle. Do you
>> have some examples? I'm pretty confident that whatever Buildr offers you in
>> this respect, Gradle offers equivalent options.
>>

> I have looked at gradle some more now and feel that I have more control. The
> only think I wish for (before considering moving from Maven) is the
> following.
>
>   * Osgi plugin that does the same as Felix Maven Plugin. It seems to me
> that the current osgi plugin is just manipulating the manifest. Are there
> any plans?
>   * A good gwt plugin - gwt compile/run. This is simple enough since it has
> a ant task.
>   * Better speed. Seems that version 0.8 is slow. Do not know why though.

Which JDK are you using?  I've noticed it's slower on JDK6 than on
five.  I've talked to Hans about this and he's pretty sure it's the
increased startup time of Groovy 1.6

--
Jason Porter
Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.

PGP key id: 926CCFF5
PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

On Nov 4, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:

Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
Hi.

I am a heavy Maven 2 user but lately I have been really tired of it. Been looking at both gradle and buildr for some time now. Tried both gradle and buildr in some real world settings. Right now I am favouring buildr since it gives me a good feeling to have control over my build.

I'm curious what you feel you don't have control over with Gradle. Do you have some examples? I'm pretty confident that whatever Buildr offers you in this respect, Gradle offers equivalent options.

I have looked at gradle some more now and feel that I have more control. The only think I wish for (before considering moving from Maven) is the following.

  * Osgi plugin that does the same as Felix Maven Plugin. It seems to me that the current osgi plugin is just manipulating the manifest. Are there
any plans?

What exactly do you want to achieve?

You might have a look at the Osgi blog entries in http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRADLE/External+Resources

  * A good gwt plugin - gwt compile/run. This is simple enough since it has a ant task.
  * Better speed. Seems that version 0.8 is slow. Do not know why though.

What exactly is slow?

Startup time?
Average Build time?

Gradle Project Manager

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

Sten Roger Sandvik

Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
[...]

I have some bundles that include resources and classes from other jar files. In felix bundle plugin you can embed dependencies using the Embed-Dependency instruction. I use this all the time. Would like something like that in the osgi plugin. Or can this be written using some other constructs?
  * A good gwt plugin - gwt compile/run. This is simple enough since it has a ant task.
  * Better speed. Seems that version 0.8 is slow. Do not know why though.

What exactly is slow?

Startup time?
Average Build time?

It's the startup time. I have compared Maven 3 and Gradle and it seems that gradle is alot slower to start up in both JDK 1.5 and 1.6. The speed is not that important and is not a blocker for using Gradle.

/srs

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

Marco Hunsicker
Hello Sten,

>> What exactly is slow?
>>
>> Startup time?
>> Average Build time?
>>

> It's the startup time. I have compared Maven 3 and Gradle and it seems that
> gradle is alot slower to start up in both JDK 1.5 and 1.6. The speed is not
> that important and is not a blocker for using Gradle.

Startup time might be improved using a service solution like Nailgun
[1]. JRuby provides build-in support for it to avoid launching a new JVM
for each command you run, which is quite nice when you use Buildr [2].

[1]<http://martiansoftware.com/nailgun/index.html>
[2]<http://www.digitalsanctum.com/2009/10/23/running-apache-buildr-with-jruby-and-nailgun/>

Regards,

   Marco

Re: Gradle or Buildr?

Andrew Pietsch-2
  * A good gwt plugin - gwt compile/run. This is simple enough since it has a ant task.

I've written a gwt plugin for myself (compile, shell, gwt-test) and would be happy to share it, although it's in a "works for me" state and would need someone better at both gradle and gwt to make it more 'production ready'.

Cheers
Andrew