Gradle performance and CPU usage

Rickard Öberg
Hi,

We at Qi4j recently switched over to use Gradle for our builds. Overall
it is working quite well, but I'm having a weird problem that I don't
know how to fix.

If I do for example "gradlew idea" to generate IDEA modules/projects I
can see that the process is quite slow. I connected to the process using
VisualVM, and could see the CPU usage being in the range of 0.5%-8%. So,
my performance issues is not so much that it's slow, it's that the CPU
doesn't seem to be used at all. This seems to be happening with most
targets by the way.

Has anyone seen this? How to fix? Any settings I missed? I wouldn't mind
the CPU usage being closer to 100%, if possible.

thanks, Rickard

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Andrew Schetinin
Hi Rickard,

This happens usually due to Gradle (or, more correctly, Ivy) searching for many-many dependencies.
As I've learned, it's less of a Gradle problem, and more like a design issue (a feature, not a bug) with Maven dependencies.

There are a few ways of handling it:

1. a trick - there is an Ivy setting that disables those lengthy lookups

gradle -Divy.cache.ttl.default=eternal build

2.  a better solution (we're using now) is installing a company artifact repository (Nexus or Artifactory - both easy to install and use) on a server which is fast to access (may be an Intranet server, or even a local server - in our case it sits on a domestic hosting and it works just fine).

Regards,

Andrew Schetinin

Andrew Schetinin

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Rickard Öberg
Hi Andrew!

Thanks for the suggestions!

On 3/28/11 16:50 , Andrew Schetinin wrote:

> This happens usually due to Gradle (or, more correctly, Ivy) searching
> for many-many dependencies.
> As I've learned, it's less of a Gradle problem, and more like a design
> issue (a feature, not a bug) with Maven dependencies.
>
> There are a few ways of handling it:
>
> 1. a trick - there is an Ivy setting that disables those lengthy lookups
>
> gradle -Divy.cache.ttl.default=eternal build

Unfortunately this didn't make any difference at all, so it's gotta be
something else. I tried with both "idea" and "build" targets, and they
seemed as usual, i.e. CPU usage was very low.

> 2.  a better solution (we're using now) is installing a company artifact
> repository (Nexus or Artifactory - both easy to install and use) on a
> server which is fast to access (may be an Intranet server, or even a
> local server - in our case it sits on a domestic hosting and it works
> just fine).

Unfortunately we're a distributed OpenSource project, and so there's no
"local" (I work from home personally).

Hopefully there are other ways of dealing with this :-(

/Rickard

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Steve Ebersole

Andrew's point was that you could set up nexus or artifactory locally on your network (home or corporate is irrelevant) or even on your machine.   I have used this approach in the past for a similar issue I was having getting Hibernate loaded into IntelliJ using its maven integration.  I set up artifactory locally on my dev machine and it really helped.

No idea if that is really the cause of the situation you see.  In my experience the maven dependency slowness was due to SNAPSHOT dependencies.  I am not familar enough with Ivy to say if there is a corollary, but in maven you could tell it how often to check against remote repositories for newer SNAPSHOTS which helps quite a bit as well.

On Mar 28, 2011 5:43 AM, "Rickard Öberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Andrew!
>
> Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> On 3/28/11 16:50 , Andrew Schetinin wrote:
>> This happens usually due to Gradle (or, more correctly, Ivy) searching
>> for many-many dependencies.
>> As I've learned, it's less of a Gradle problem, and more like a design
>> issue (a feature, not a bug) with Maven dependencies.
>>
>> There are a few ways of handling it:
>>
>> 1. a trick - there is an Ivy setting that disables those lengthy lookups
>>
>> gradle -Divy.cache.ttl.default=eternal build
>
> Unfortunately this didn't make any difference at all, so it's gotta be
> something else. I tried with both "idea" and "build" targets, and they
> seemed as usual, i.e. CPU usage was very low.
>
>> 2. a better solution (we're using now) is installing a company artifact
>> repository (Nexus or Artifactory - both easy to install and use) on a
>> server which is fast to access (may be an Intranet server, or even a
>> local server - in our case it sits on a domestic hosting and it works
>> just fine).
>
> Unfortunately we're a distributed OpenSource project, and so there's no
> "local" (I work from home personally).
>
> Hopefully there are other ways of dealing with this :-(
>
> /Rickard

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Philippe Lhoste
On 28/03/2011 13:02, Steve Ebersole wrote:
> Andrew's point was that you could set up nexus or artifactory locally on your network
> (home or corporate is irrelevant) or even on your machine.   I have used this approach in
> the past for a similar issue I was having getting Hibernate loaded into IntelliJ using its
> maven integration.  I set up artifactory locally on my dev machine and it really helped.

Another alternative is to just have the jars of the libraries in some folder and point
there in a static way. I do that in some projects and it works fine. That's the kind of
flexibility I appreciate in Gradle.

Perhaps this is suitable only in simple cases (no complex dependencies) and perhaps there
are some drawbacks to this approach, I don't know.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Hans Dockter-2
Hi Rickard,

I have checked out qi4j-sdk to reproduce the problems. I ran into the following issues:

1.) I got a build failure at configuration time saying that 'tests:performance:entitystore' does not exists. I commented out the line in the settings.gradle to continue.

2.) Then I got a compile error (not sure if this relates to excluding the project above):

:org.qi4j.samples:org.qi4j.sample.dddsample:compileJava
/Users/hans/checkouts/qi4j-sdk/samples/dddsample/src/main/java/org/qi4j/samples/dddsample/bootstrap/Qi4jDDDSampleApplicationBootstrap.java:23: package org.qi4j.entitystore.memory does not exist
import org.qi4j.entitystore.memory.MemoryEntityStoreService;
                                  ^
/Users/hans/checkouts/qi4j-sdk/samples/dddsample/src/main/java/org/qi4j/samples/dddsample/bootstrap/Qi4jDDDSampleApplicationBootstrap.java:102: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class MemoryEntityStoreService
location: class org.qi4j.samples.dddsample.bootstrap.Qi4jDDDSampleApplicationBootstrap
        module.services( MemoryEntityStoreService.class, UuidIdentityGeneratorService.class )
                         ^
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
2 errors

Any ideas how to fix those?

We are keen to have a look into the Gradle issues once we have a running build.

Cheers

Hans

Founder, Gradle
CEO, Gradleware - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Rickard Öberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We at Qi4j recently switched over to use Gradle for our builds. Overall it is working quite well, but I'm having a weird problem that I don't know how to fix.

If I do for example "gradlew idea" to generate IDEA modules/projects I can see that the process is quite slow. I connected to the process using VisualVM, and could see the CPU usage being in the range of 0.5%-8%. So, my performance issues is not so much that it's slow, it's that the CPU doesn't seem to be used at all. This seems to be happening with most targets by the way.

Has anyone seen this? How to fix? Any settings I missed? I wouldn't mind the CPU usage being closer to 100%, if possible.

thanks, Rickard

I have just tried to build qi4j-sdk. I followed the checkout instructions including the submodules. But I get an error during build initialization, saying that /qi4j-sdk/tests/performance/entitystore does not exists.

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Hans Dockter-2
BTW: Are you using the daemon? If not have a look here: http://www.practicalgradle.org/blog/2010/11/gradle-daemon/
It will significantly increase the responsiveness of Gradle. It does not affect the issues you have mentioned.

On 3/29/11 08:14 , Hans Dockter wrote:
> BTW: Are you using the daemon? If not have a look here:
> http://www.practicalgradle.org/blog/2010/11/gradle-daemon/
> It will significantly increase the responsiveness of Gradle. It does not
> affect the issues you have mentioned.

Our builds takes minutes, so don't think that really matters, and not
for the issue mentioned.

On 3/28/11 19:29 , Philippe Lhoste wrote:
> Another alternative is to just have the jars of the libraries in some
> folder and point there in a static way. I do that in some projects and
> it works fine. That's the kind of flexibility I appreciate in Gradle.
>
> Perhaps this is suitable only in simple cases (no complex dependencies)
> and perhaps there are some drawbacks to this approach, I don't know.

I have all libraries in my local Maven repo. Isn't that enough?

On 3/29/11 08:12 , Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi Rickard,
>
> I have checked out qi4j-sdk to reproduce the problems. I ran into the
> following issues:
>
> 1.) I got a build failure at configuration time saying that
> 'tests:performance:entitystore' does not exists. I commented out the
> line in the settings.gradle to continue.
>
> 2.) Then I got a compile error (not sure if this relates to excluding
> the project above):
>
> :org.qi4j.samples:org.qi4j.sample.dddsample:compileJava
> /Users/hans/checkouts/qi4j-sdk/samples/dddsample/src/main/java/org/qi4j/samples/dddsample/bootstrap/Qi4jDDDSampleApplicationBootstrap.java:23:
> package org.qi4j.entitystore.memory does not exist
> import org.qi4j.entitystore.memory.MemoryEntityStoreService;
>                                    ^
> /Users/hans/checkouts/qi4j-sdk/samples/dddsample/src/main/java/org/qi4j/samples/dddsample/bootstrap/Qi4jDDDSampleApplicationBootstrap.java:102:
> cannot find symbol
> symbol  : class MemoryEntityStoreService
> location: class
> org.qi4j.samples.dddsample.bootstrap.Qi4jDDDSampleApplicationBootstrap
>          module.services( MemoryEntityStoreService.class,
> UuidIdentityGeneratorService.class )
>                           ^
> Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
> Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
> 2 errors
>
> Any ideas how to fix those?
>
> We are keen to have a look into the Gradle issues once we have a running
> build.

All of this should be fixed now.

Niclas told me that many of the tasks fork off separate VM's, so it
might simply be that I'm measuring the wrong thing, i.e. the parent VM,
which doesn't do all that much. For example, during "javadoc" the CPU
usage goes down to 0%, which would be normal then.

Anyway, it would be great if you could do a checkout and build, and see
if it all looks normal, or if anything could be improved.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Rickard Öberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I still run into a compile issue:

:org.qi4j.tools:org.qi4j.tool.envisage:javadocJar
:org.qi4j.tools:org.qi4j.tool.envisage:sourceJar
:org.qi4j.samples:org.qi4j.sample.dddsample:compileVersionJava

On 29/03/2011 04:52, Rickard Öberg wrote:
> I have all libraries in my local Maven repo. Isn't that enough?

I just avoid Maven... :-) (that's why I went directly to Gradle)
(I know, I suppose that a "local Maven repo" is probably distinct from Maven-the-tool itself.)

And I don't know Ivy.
Beside, I grown an habit to just download the jar files of the libraries.
Perhaps stupid with modern tools, but so far I wasn't hurt by the process at my modest
personal level.

Of course, with a team, real projects, various versions, something more sophisticated
would be useful. At work, the integration manager still manages the versions by hand and
with Ant. They think about using Maven, I try to push them toward Gradle... :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Steve Ebersole

The problem is that the notion of a repository is extremely valuable and unfortunately the "maven repository" (as in layout) is by far the most ubiquitious. But that notion is completely separate from maven-as-a-tool.

On Tuesday, March 29, 2011, at 07:27 am, Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> On 29/03/2011 04:52, Rickard Öberg wrote:

> > I have all libraries in my local Maven repo. Isn't that enough?

> I just avoid Maven... :-) (that's why I went directly to Gradle)

> (I know, I suppose that a "local Maven repo" is probably distinct from

> Maven-the-tool itself.)

> And I don't know Ivy.

> Beside, I grown an habit to just download the jar files of the libraries.

> Perhaps stupid with modern tools, but so far I wasn't hurt by the process

> at my modest personal level.

> Of course, with a team, real projects, various versions, something more

> sophisticated would be useful. At work, the integration manager still

> manages the versions by hand and with Ant. They think about using Maven, I

> try to push them toward Gradle... :-)

---

Steve Ebersole <[hidden email]>

http://hibernate.org

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Graeme Rocher-4
FWIW we have the same problem in the Grails project.

Running "gradle idea" on a single subproject takes well over 2 minutes to run

But it seems specific to the idea task, other tasks don't seem to take as long

We also can't setup our own Nexus or use one of the solutions provided
since we're a public Open Source project

Cheers

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Rickard Öberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We at Qi4j recently switched over to use Gradle for our builds. Overall it
> is working quite well, but I'm having a weird problem that I don't know how
> to fix.
>
> If I do for example "gradlew idea" to generate IDEA modules/projects I can
> see that the process is quite slow. I connected to the process using
> VisualVM, and could see the CPU usage being in the range of 0.5%-8%. So, my
> performance issues is not so much that it's slow, it's that the CPU doesn't
> seem to be used at all. This seems to be happening with most targets by the
> way.
>
> Has anyone seen this? How to fix? Any settings I missed? I wouldn't mind the
> CPU usage being closer to 100%, if possible.
>
> thanks, Rickard

Graeme Rocher
Grails Project Lead
SpringSource - A Division of VMware
http://www.springsource.com

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Rene Groeschke
Hi Graeme,

Am Di, 29.03.2011, 17:32, schrieb Graeme Rocher:

> FWIW we have the same problem in the Grails project.
>

> Running "gradle idea" on a single subproject takes well over 2 minutes to
> run
>
> But it seems specific to the idea task, other tasks don't seem to take as
> long
>
> We also can't setup our own Nexus or use one of the solutions provided
> since we're a public Open Source project

Have you thought about injecting an own nexus repo via init file to speed
up your local builds?

regards,
René

> Cheers
>

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Rickard Öberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> We at Qi4j recently switched over to use Gradle for our builds. Overall
>> it is working quite well, but I'm having a weird problem that I don't
>> know how to fix.
>>
>> If I do for example "gradlew idea" to generate IDEA modules/projects I
>> can see that the process is quite slow. I connected to the process using
>>  VisualVM, and could see the CPU usage being in the range of 0.5%-8%.
>> So, my
>> performance issues is not so much that it's slow, it's that the CPU
>> doesn't seem to be used at all. This seems to be happening with most
>> targets by the way.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this? How to fix? Any settings I missed? I wouldn't
>> mind the CPU usage being closer to 100%, if possible.
>>

>> thanks, Rickard

>> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>

> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

Re: Gradle performance and CPU usage

Peter Niederwieser
Graeme Rocher-4 wrote
FWIW we have the same problem in the Grails project.

Running "gradle idea" on a single subproject takes well over 2 minutes to run

But it seems specific to the idea task, other tasks don't seem to take as long
In Gradle 0.9.x the IDEA plugin had a bug that slowed it down immensely. This was fixed in 1.0-milestone-1.

--
Peter Niederwieser
Developer, Gradle