Groovy 1.8.3 and 1.9-beta-4 released

Guillaume Laforge
Hi all,

The Groovy development team is happy to announce the releases of Groovy 1.8.3 and Groovy 1.9-beta-4.

At the same time as working on newer branches like the static type checking support, the invoke dynamic support, and modularization of Groovy, we have fixed quite a few bugs, and integrated several patches that have been kindly submitted by the community.

In the minor enhancements for both versions, you'll be able to customize the groovy shell prompt with -Dgroovysh.prompt=cool or by exporting the GROOVYSH_PROMPT variable.
You can run a remote groovy script with the groovy command by passing it a URL pointing at the script or class you want to run (instead of the local file): groovy http://example.com/foo.groovy
The Groovy JDK doc will now show you the version number of Groovy for which it's been generated.
There's a new method to format dates, with timezone information.

For 1.9 exclusively, we have a new tab in the Groovy console AST browser to watch the bytecode generated by the groovy compiler (select the class generation phase, and the classnode for which you want to see the bytecode).
We also have a new mechanism for controlling how Global AST transformations are applied or not.

You can download those versions on the Groovy website here:

The JIRA release notes can be viewed here:
Thanks a lot everybody for your many contributions, patches, pull requests on GitHub!

Keep on Groovying :-)

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager

Re: Groovy 1.8.3 and 1.9-beta-4 released

poiati
Very nice, congratz!

[]'s
Paulo Poiati