High level logging submitted to trunk

there were some obstacles to overcome with our improved logging. The
biggest problem was the Groovy plugin, which does some classloader
manipulation to be able to compile with a different groovy version
than the one internally used by Gradle. Because of this the
delegation of the Ant logging to our logging did not work initially.

High level logging is now active and the Gradle log output is already
much nicer to read. Most important is that we have now the
infrastructure to optimize our logging. I'm very happy that we are
finally there.

There is no additional file logging implemented at the moment as
there are still things to discuss.

The behavior at the moment is:

default: high level
-i : info
-d: debug
-q: quiet (only errors)

You can't specify a certain subsystem for the command line switches
yet (e.g. Ivy): http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-237

Is high level logging a good phrase for what we are doing?

Re: High level logging submitted to trunk

Adam Murdoch-2

Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there were some obstacles to overcome with our improved logging. The
> biggest problem was the Groovy plugin, which does some classloader
> manipulation to be able to compile with a different groovy version
> than the one internally used by Gradle. Because of this the delegation
> of the Ant logging to our logging did not work initially.
>
> High level logging is now active and the Gradle log output is already
> much nicer to read. Most important is that we have now the
> infrastructure to optimize our logging. I'm very happy that we are
> finally there.

The output looks heaps better.

> There is no additional file logging implemented at the moment as there
> are still things to discuss.
>
> The behavior at the moment is:
>
> default: high level
> -i : info
> -d: debug
> -q: quiet (only errors)
>
> You can't specify a certain subsystem for the command line switches
> yet (e.g. Ivy): http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-237
>
> Is high level logging a good phrase for what we are doing?

Some options for the level: 'important', 'priority', 'progress', 'lifecycle'

Adam

On Sep 24, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Adam Murdoch wrote:

> Hans Dockter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there were some obstacles to overcome with our improved logging.
>> The biggest problem was the Groovy plugin, which does some
>> classloader manipulation to be able to compile with a different
>> groovy version than the one internally used by Gradle. Because of
>> this the delegation of the Ant logging to our logging did not work
>> initially.
>>
>> High level logging is now active and the Gradle log output is
>> already much nicer to read. Most important is that we have now the
>> infrastructure to optimize our logging. I'm very happy that we are
>> finally there.
>>

> The output looks heaps better.
>
>> There is no additional file logging implemented at the moment as
>> there are still things to discuss.
>>
>> The behavior at the moment is:
>>
>> default: high level
>> -i : info
>> -d: debug
>> -q: quiet (only errors)
>>
>> You can't specify a certain subsystem for the command line
>> switches yet (e.g. Ivy): http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-237
>>
>> Is high level logging a good phrase for what we are doing?
>>

> Some options for the level: 'important', 'priority', 'progress',
> 'lifecycle'

I like lifecycle logging.