Improved Reporting

I have just committed a couple of changes to our reporting.

Use case: You want to learn about your current project without the noise
of the other projects
gradle -n/-t/-p will now show you only the properties of the current
project.

Use case: You are working with the wrapper, so you are always in root.
gradle -t:SomeProject will show you the properties of a project
specified by the path argument.

Use case: You want to get a report for all your projects. I don't think
this is very common to that from the command line. It is the old
behavior. I'm not sure if it make sense to support it. But the following
works at the moment.
gradle -n:? (* can't be used because of windows)

I think the key to versatile reporting (there is a lot of good stuff we
could easily add) without overloading the command line is to be able to
configure a task from the command line.

Some reports I would use very often:
- Just show me dependencies report for the project dependencies
- Just show me the dependencies report for a particular configuration
- Show me tasks that match only a certain pattern or stuff for projects
that match a certain pattern.

Another good aspect of doing this all via tasks is that you can bundle
them in a sandbox plugin and see how stuff works out. Changes to the
command line always apply to the core.

Re: Improved Reporting

Adam Murdoch-2

Hans Dockter wrote:

> I have just committed a couple of changes to our reporting.
>
> Use case: You want to learn about your current project without the noise
> of the other projects
> gradle -n/-t/-p will now show you only the properties of the current
> project.
>
> Use case: You are working with the wrapper, so you are always in root.
> gradle -t:SomeProject will show you the properties of a project
> specified by the path argument.
>
> Use case: You want to get a report for all your projects. I don't think
> this is very common to that from the command line. It is the old
> behavior. I'm not sure if it make sense to support it. But the following
> works at the moment.
> gradle -n:? (* can't be used because of windows)

I like the new behaviour. I would tweak it slightly by removing the
project pattern from the command-line option, and instead interpret each
argument on the command-line as a task pattern:

gradle -t proj1 pro2

> I think the key to versatile reporting (there is a lot of good stuff we
> could easily add) without overloading the command line is to be able to
> configure a task from the command line.

I agree. I think some HTML reports would also be useful too, so that you
can do some ad hoc exploring.

> Some reports I would use very often:
> - Just show me the dependencies report for a particular configuration

Configurations really need a fully-qualified path, just like projects
and tasks. This would be useful for concise project dependency
declarations, error reporting, and so on.

Gradle Developer