Installation problems

binstock
Hi:

New to Gradle. Just downloaded and installed v. 0.1.4

When I run gradle -v, I get:

No modern compiler.
Gradle 0.1.4
Gradle bulidtime: Tuestday, May 6, 2008 etc.
Groovy 1.5.5
JVM 10.0-b19
JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name: Windows XP

I searched through the mailing list archive for "No modern compiler." and turned up nothing that applies to me. My JAVA_HOME env var points correctly to the Java JDK. (c:\tools\java\jdk1.6.0_04) and all my other Java tools (IDEs, etc.) use this env variable with no difficulty.

Your Getting Started Guide says to consult GRADLE_HOME/docs/userguide, however the zip file I downloaded has no /docs directory.

Please explain what needs to be done to fix this (and possibly fix the distribution or the GettingStarted.html file.)

Looking forward to giving Gradle a try,

---Andrew B.

Re: Installation problems

Hi Andrew,

On Jun 1, 2008, at 9:02 AM, mister bean wrote:

> Hi:
>
> New to Gradle. Just downloaded and installed v. 0.1.4
>
> When I run gradle -v, I get:
>
> No modern compiler.
> Gradle 0.1.4
> Gradle bulidtime: Tuestday, May 6, 2008 etc.
> Groovy 1.5.5
> JVM 10.0-b19
> JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
> OS Name: Windows XP

I'm sorry that this can be confusing. Gradle is perfectly installed
and usable on your machine. 'No modern compiler' just means that
there is a separate tools.jar we have to explicitly put in the
classpath. Nothing relevant from a user perspective. But if there are
problems it might be good to know for us which kind of JDK your are
using. I will think about a better way to phrase this fact.

> I searched through the mailing list archive for "No modern
> compiler." and
> turned up nothing that applies to me. My JAVA_HOME env var points
> correctly
> to the Java JDK. (c:\tools\java\jdk1.6.0_04) and all my other Java
> tools
> (IDEs, etc.) use this env variable with no difficulty.
>
> Your Getting Started Guide says to consult GRADLE_HOME/docs/userguide,
> however the zip file I downloaded has no /docs directory.

You are right. There is a bug in our bundling. I have filed a Jira:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-92

We will fix this for our soon to come 0.1.5.

Until then you need to access the userguide via the Gradle website:
http://gradle.org/userguide.html

- Hans