Logging Look and Feel

originally I was thinking about do some slightly fancy stuff with our
console log. For example to use dot's as a progress indicator during
task execution. I'm not sure any longer if this is worthwhile doing.
The strategy I'm favoring at the moment is to make the console log as
convenient as possible but without anything fancy. We may
alternatively provide an UI runner that is shipped with Gradle. It
could be used like a console but would also offer a task tree for
visual execution of Gradle. There we could do all the nifty stuff
like progress bars and many more things.

What do you think?

Re: Logging Look and Feel

Adam Murdoch-2

Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> originally I was thinking about do some slightly fancy stuff with our
> console log. For example to use dot's as a progress indicator during
> task execution. I'm not sure any longer if this is worthwhile doing.
> The strategy I'm favoring at the moment is to make the console log as
> convenient as possible but without anything fancy. We may
> alternatively provide an UI runner that is shipped with Gradle. It
> could be used like a console but would also offer a task tree for
> visual execution of Gradle. There we could do all the nifty stuff like
> progress bars and many more things.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a good plan.

Longer term, with the combination of routing everything through logging,
and a rich event system (logging is just a type of event), console
output would be pretty easily skinnable. Personally, I wouldn't mind
some console magic, but I'm happy for the default to be something really
plain.

Adam