Making Gradle output even less verbose

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Making Gradle output even less verbose

hans_d
Administrator
With the new incremental functionality our users will have now a lot  
of output like:

test UP-TO-DATE

I think it would be cool to have no output for this at all (as a  
default). Usually your only interested in what needs to be done and to  
see what is work in progress.

Related to this are tasks that are just aggregators. It would be nice  
to exclude them in the output if the tasks they aggregate don't do  
anything (e.g. check, classes).

The third catagory are task like the Copy task (e.g.  
processResources). We might be able to restructure them in a way that  
we could some in advance check whether something needs to be done or  
not (e.g. from input exists or not).

I think all that would reduce noise and would make the real issues/
warning more prominent.

- Hans

--
Hans Dockter
Gradle Project Manager
http://www.gradle.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Making Gradle output even less verbose

Adam Murdoch-2


Hans Dockter wrote:
> With the new incremental functionality our users will have now a lot
> of output like:
>
> test UP-TO-DATE
>
> I think it would be cool to have no output for this at all (as a
> default). Usually your only interested in what needs to be done and to
> see what is work in progress.

Sounds reasonable. We'd have to try this and see how it works.

For consistency:
* We should have no output for disabled tasks.
* We should show output for any buildSrc tasks that are executed.

We should also combine this with some logging at info level which
explains why a task did no work.

>
> Related to this are tasks that are just aggregators. It would be nice
> to exclude them in the output if the tasks they aggregate don't do
> anything (e.g. check, classes).
>

My plan is to treat an aggregator task as up-to-date if all its
dependencies are up-to-date. Then, whatever we do for up-to-date tasks
will be applied to these as well.

> The third catagory are task like the Copy task (e.g.
> processResources). We might be able to restructure them in a way that
> we could some in advance check whether something needs to be done or
> not (e.g. from input exists or not).
>

Copy and the archive tasks don't have the full set of input and output
files registered yet. They will soon, and they will work exactly the
same as all the other tasks.

--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Developer
http://www.gradle.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Making Gradle output even less verbose

Russel Winder-2
In reply to this post by hans_d
On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 22:16 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
> With the new incremental functionality our users will have now a lot  
> of output like:
>
> test UP-TO-DATE
>
> I think it would be cool to have no output for this at all (as a  
> default). Usually your only interested in what needs to be done and to  
> see what is work in progress.

Actually I like seeing this.

> Related to this are tasks that are just aggregators. It would be nice  
> to exclude them in the output if the tasks they aggregate don't do  
> anything (e.g. check, classes).

On the other hand ensuring that the sequence of tasks output matches the
users model of what is going on is better.

> The third catagory are task like the Copy task (e.g.  
> processResources). We might be able to restructure them in a way that  
> we could some in advance check whether something needs to be done or  
> not (e.g. from input exists or not).
>
> I think all that would reduce noise and would make the real issues/
> warning more prominent.

The problem is that if task tags are not output that relate to the trace
of tasks and dependencies then the user model of activity is violated.
 
--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: [hidden email]
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:[hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Making Gradle output even less verbose

Tomek Kaczanowski-3
> On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 22:16 +0200, Hans Dockter wrote:
>> With the new incremental functionality our users will have now a lot
>> of output like:
>>
>> test UP-TO-DATE
>>
>> I think it would be cool to have no output for this at all (as a
>> default). Usually your only interested in what needs to be done and to
>> see what is work in progress.
>
> Actually I like seeing this.
Me too. I like to be informed about the progress.
But if I can configure this display (if I can easily say I want to see
this output or not), than the default settings are not so important to
me.

--
Tomek

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email