Quantcast

Overriding properties from the command line

Overriding properties from the command line

bmuschko
Hi,

I was recently working on a plugin for overriding properties from the command line: https://github.com/nebula-plugins/gradle-override-plugin. I remember that this was a feature frequently requested by Gradle users:

http://gradle.1045684.n5.nabble.com/Extension-property-from-command-line-td5548804.html
http://issues.gradle.org/browse/GRADLE-1365

Is this maybe something we'd want to be core functionality? This plugin might serve as basis for a discussion or spec.

Cheers,

Ben

Re: Overriding properties from the command line

Szczepan Faber
It would be nice to have some generic capability to override build
model settings (extension values, task properties, etc.) from the
command line.

Cheers!

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 3:07 PM, bmuschko
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was recently working on a plugin for overriding properties from the
> command line: https://github.com/nebula-plugins/gradle-override-plugin. I
> remember that this was a feature frequently requested by Gradle users:
>
> http://gradle.1045684.n5.nabble.com/Extension-property-from-command-line-td5548804.html
> http://issues.gradle.org/browse/GRADLE-1365
>
> Is this maybe something we'd want to be core functionality? This plugin
> might serve as basis for a discussion or spec.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben

Szczepan Faber
Core dev@gradle; Founder@mockito

Re: Overriding properties from the command line

bmuschko
That's what the plugin already does.

Ben

Re: Overriding properties from the command line

bmuschko
I was wondering if anyone had a chance to identify if this functionality would be worth to have in core?

Re: Overriding properties from the command line

Daz DeBoer-2
I think that more command-line configurability would be cool. Definitely worth putting into a spec to help flesh out the semantics and test coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised if Luke/Marcin have already put some thought into how this could be incorporated into the new configuration model.

Daz

Darrell (Daz) DeBoer