Package Task

We use usually verbs for our task names: compile, test, ...

package is a good term for describing the creation of the jars,
zips, ...

But if we use the term package, we can't use our short notation for
this, as package is a reserved word:

compile.targetDir = ...
package. ... // does not work

What other term could we use instead of package. Bundle?

Re: Package Task

Steven Devijver
"package" works.

Actually, this shows that Gradle does not have lifecycles like Maven.

Steven

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We use usually verbs for our task names: compile, test, ...
>
>  package is a good term for describing the creation of the jars,
>  zips, ...
>
>  But if we use the term package, we can't use our short notation for
>  this, as package is a reserved word:
>
>  compile.targetDir = ...
>  package. ... // does not work
>

>  What other term could we use instead of package. Bundle?
>
>  - Hans

Re: Package Task

On Feb 14, 2008, at 10:15 PM, Steven Devijver wrote:

> "package" works.

Right. But is this not a trap every user will fall into at the
beginning?

> Actually, this shows that Gradle does not have lifecycles like Maven.

How do you mean?

- Hans

> Steven
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> We use usually verbs for our task names: compile, test, ...
>>
>>  package is a good term for describing the creation of the jars,
>>  zips, ...
>>
>>  But if we use the term package, we can't use our short notation for
>>  this, as package is a reserved word:
>>
>>  compile.targetDir = ...
>>  package. ... // does not work
>>

>>  What other term could we use instead of package. Bundle?
>>
>>  - Hans

Re: Package Task

Steven Devijver
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On Feb 14, 2008, at 10:15 PM, Steven Devijver wrote:
>
>  > "package" works.
>
>  Right. But is this not a trap every user will fall into at the
>  beginning?

Probably.

>  >
>  > Actually, this shows that Gradle does not have lifecycles like Maven.
>
>  How do you mean?

I Maven you have a package lifecycle to which you can attach plugins.
This is not dynamic, the plugin is attached to the lifecycle through
its configuration. And you of course can't configure it any way you
want (only through XML).

In Gradle you have a task called package. The package name acts as a
lifecycle in the sense that you can attach code to that plugin. But
its not the same as a Maven lifecycle. In Maven plugins don't need a
name because they are not addressed is this way.