'Plain' console output

Rob Fletcher
Hi

Is there a way to tell Gradle to generate plain console output? I'm running a build on Travis CI and due to the limitations of Travis's logging it's very hard to see the wood for the trees. For example: http://travis-ci.org/#!/robfletcher/betamax/builds/2527439 I have a couple of failing tests there but it's pretty hard to pick them out from all the noise generated by the download & test running updates.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: 'Plain' console output

Luke Daley-2

On 22/09/2012, at 8:21 AM, Rob Fletcher wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there a way to tell Gradle to generate plain console output?

There's currently not.

> I'm running a build on Travis CI and due to the limitations of Travis's logging it's very hard to see the wood for the trees. For example: http://travis-ci.org/#!/robfletcher/betamax/builds/2527439 I have a couple of failing tests there but it's pretty hard to pick them out from all the noise generated by the download & test running updates.

Can you add some trace to your build to report on what the value of the TERM env var is please.

Re: 'Plain' console output

Luke Daley-2
@Adam: any idea on what's going on here?

Is Travis wrong to advertise this as the TERM?

On 01/10/2012, at 10:51 AM, Rob Fletcher wrote:

> It reports $TERM as just `xterm`
>
> --
> Rob Fletcher
>
> On Sunday, 30 September 2012 at 11:05, Luke Daley wrote:
>

>> On 22/09/2012, at 8:21 AM, Rob Fletcher wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell Gradle to generate plain console output?
>>
>> There's currently not.
>>
>>> I'm running a build on Travis CI and due to the limitations of Travis's logging it's very hard to see the wood for the trees. For example: http://travis-ci.org/#!/robfletcher/betamax/builds/2527439 I have a couple of failing tests there but it's pretty hard to pick them out from all the noise generated by the download & test running updates.
>>
>> Can you add some trace to your build to report on what the value of the TERM env var is please.

Re: 'Plain' console output

Adam Murdoch

On 24/10/2012, at 2:32 AM, Luke Daley wrote:

@Adam: any idea on what's going on here?

Is Travis wrong to advertise this as the TERM?

Maybe. Or our terminal detection is broken.

@Rob, can you add some trace to your build script to see if java.io.Console is available, to see if Java thinks the process is attached to a terminal? You might also try using a recent nightly build, as we made some changes to the terminal detection.

[...]

mmartynas
Hi,

I still get overwhelming flow of output messages when gradle is downloading dependencies. I am using gradle 1.6.

I tried to check if System.console() returns something in java tests ran by gradle and in java executables ran by travis. It seems that test code does not see console but java code ran from travis does see console object.

You can find this test build output here: https://travis-ci.org/2m/gradle-travis-test/builds/8579228

Re: 'Plain' console output

Luke Daley-2

On 29/06/2013, at 9:40 PM, mmartynas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I still get overwhelming flow of output messages when gradle is downloading
> dependencies. I am using gradle 1.6.
>
> I tried to check if System.console() returns something in java tests ran by
> gradle and in java executables ran by travis. It seems that test code does
> not see console but java code ran from travis does see console object.
>
> You can find this test build output here:
> https://travis-ci.org/2m/gradle-travis-test/builds/8579228

This is a bug with Travis. It's incorrectly declaring itself an ANSI capable terminal when it isn't.