Question about phrase in userguide doc

KARR, DAVID
I'm planning on reading and proofreading the user guide, and submitting the changes in a PR.  I've found a few typos and wordos in just the first few pages.  Usually, I find it obvious what the person meant, and can suggest a better wording.  However, sometimes I just can't parse what they were trying to say.  I found one of those ungrokable statements in the "overview" section, which says:

        "Only by that using Groovy is the fun and productivity gain it can be."

If I'm reading the history correctly, it looks like Hans wrote this more than 4 years ago.  If Hans isn't around, can someone interpret what he was trying to say here?

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

Szczepan Faber-2
I think only 3 words are really important in this sentence: "groovy", "productivity" and "fun".

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for helping out with the user guide!

Szczepan Faber
Principal engineer@gradle; Founder@mockito

On 4 July 2014 at 7:53:07 am, KARR, DAVID ([hidden email]) wrote:

I'm planning on reading and proofreading the user guide, and submitting the changes in a PR. I've found a few typos and wordos in just the first few pages.

This would be an extremely useful contribution.

 Usually, I find it obvious what the person meant, and can suggest a better wording. However, sometimes I just can't parse what they were trying to say. I found one of those ungrokable statements in the "overview" section, which says:

"Only by that using Groovy is the fun and productivity gain it can be."

I can’t decipher it either.

If I'm reading the history correctly, it looks like Hans wrote this more than 4 years ago. If Hans isn't around, can someone interpret what he was trying to say here?

That’s right. A lot of the user guide material is from the early days and is no longer accurate or useful. This is just what happens to documentation over time; no one’s fault.

This whole overview chapter needs serious rework. It no longer really reflects what we hold to be the core values and key messages. I’d be inclined to scrap it and start again, but that’s a different piece of work.

In this particular case, I’d just drop the sentence in question. It’s not adding any value that I can see.

If you are doing some proofing (thanks again for this!), don’t hesitate to cull sentences. I’d much rather have fewer, sharper, sentences.

—

RE: Question about phrase in userguide doc

KARR, DAVID

On 4 July 2014 at 7:53:07 am, KARR, DAVID ([hidden email]) wrote:

I'm planning on reading and proofreading the user guide, and submitting the changes in a PR. I've found a few typos and wordos in just the first few pages.

This would be an extremely useful contribution.

 Usually, I find it obvious what the person meant, and can suggest a better wording. However, sometimes I just can't parse what they were trying to say. I found one of those ungrokable statements in the "overview" section, which says:

"Only by that using Groovy is the fun and productivity gain it can be."

I can’t decipher it either.

If I'm reading the history correctly, it looks like Hans wrote this more than 4 years ago. If Hans isn't around, can someone interpret what he was trying to say here?

I concluded that “Adding Groovy results in an enjoyable and productive experience.” is a worthwhile replacement for that sentence.

That’s right. A lot of the user guide material is from the early days and is no longer accurate or useful. This is just what happens to documentation over time; no one’s fault.

This whole overview chapter needs serious rework. It no longer really reflects what we hold to be the core values and key messages. I’d be inclined to scrap it and start again, but that’s a different piece of work.

Acknowledged.  Unless a better approach is obvious to me, I’ll stick with small-scale improvements of what’s there.  I’ll be glad to consult with others for larger rework.

In this particular case, I’d just drop the sentence in question. It’s not adding any value that I can see.

If you are doing some proofing (thanks again for this!), don’t hesitate to cull sentences. I’d much rather have fewer, sharper, sentences.

I’ll keep that in mind.  I’ve seen a few sentences that didn’t provide any value, but the most common pattern I’m seeing are strings of short sentences that could be rephrased as a single sentence that flows more naturally in real speech (just saying it “sotto voce” to yourself is an easy way to see this).

—

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

Hans Dockter-2
Hi David,

The whole Gradle API is fully groovynized. Only by that using Groovy is the fun and productivity gain it can be.

without Gradle providing a DSL with high level abstractions implemented in a way to be used elegantly with Groovy, using Groovy for Gradle build scripts would be a less fund and less productive experience.

Hans

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Luke Daley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think it reflects our core values.

- One of our core contribution, next generation declarativeness.
- Standardization Toolkit
- Powerful, rich executional model
- Deep API to embrace the unanticipated
- Performance is a key focus
- Dependency Management that allows to abstract from your physical structure.
- Be like water, integrate with 'what is already there' as a first class concept.

The chapter does not a sufficient job though to explain this in a way that people can really get it. One of the still missing pieces for Gradle is that its deep design principles are nowhere explained in sufficient depth. The initial writing of the user guide tried to get some of that across. I think though that the user guide is not the best place for talking about the Gradle philosophy. The user guide should become more lightweight and focus on being a Gradle reference.

It is important though, to tell the other part of the story somewhere. I'm working on that.

So David, a goal for the refactoring of the user guide could be to kick content like that completely out. I think the dependency management section also has a lot of this.

In this particular case, I’d just drop the sentence in question. It’s not adding any value that I can see.

In general I think the point I make is very important. It is targeted toward efforts like polyglot Maven, where Groovy is not deeply integrated with the API and which provides a very different experience when using Groovy for describing your build.

Hans

If you are doing some proofing (thanks again for this!), don’t hesitate to cull sentences. I’d much rather have fewer, sharper, sentences.

RE: Question about phrase in userguide doc

KARR, DAVID

I finally finished the complete proofreading run through of the user guide.  This is a summary of what I fixed:

·         Minor typos, wordos, and small display problems in almost every chapter.

·         Too long lines in many code samples.

·         Some incorrect double quotes (changed from the plain one to the left and right quotes).

·         There were only a few places that I changed real content, either adding more explicit statements or rewording phrases.

·         Because of formatting problems with things like “literal” (not respecting display line length) I ended up rephrasing many statements, hopefully more clearly, but towards the goal of repositioning the “literal” strings so they didn’t wrap off the end of the line. I gave up on many of these if I found it would be too much reformatting to get a good result.

You might have noticed the several questions I posted on the forum, those were the real content-related issues.

The question is, what should I do now?  Normally I would just check all of this in and submit a pull request.  I just did a count, and there are 130 files modified.  Is that going to be a problem?

Principal engineer@gradle; Founder@mockito

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

Daz DeBoer-2
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM, KARR, DAVID <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes, a pull request is the correct way to provide these changes. Please ensure that you rebase against the latest version before submitting.

Darrell (Daz) DeBoer

[...]

Ok.  As I haven’t yet been GSL (Git as a second language) certified, I could use more explicit steps.

Should I first commit the changes to my local repo and then push upstream (still on my branch)?

I’m currently working on my “docfixes” branch.  Would I rebase it to the “master” branch?

I would assume I would then build the doc and view the result for any obvious issues.  I can run the “integTest”, but as that’s currently failing for unknown reasons (another thread talking about this), I can really only verify that it’s failing in apparently the same way it was before.

Darrell (Daz) DeBoer

RE: Question about phrase in userguide doc

KARR, DAVID

Note that I could still use some help with this.  The longer it takes for me to get these doc fixes into a pull request, the more merge problems we’ll have (unless doc changes aren’t happening very often).

To summarize, I have all of these changes not yet checked in, on my “docfixes” branch.  I obviously have to check in the changes to my branch.  I assume I do NOT have to push those changes to github at this point. When I look at the “rebase” option in the Egit Eclipse plugin, there are top-level choices of “Local” and “Remote Tracking”.  In the “Local” list is my “docfixes” branch, along with “master”.  The “Remote Tracking” list has many “origin/...” branches, but one of the ones in the list is “origin/master”.  I imagine I have to select either the “Local master” or the “origin/master”, but I’m not sure which.

At that point I believe that I will have a set of changes that I should push to my github repo, and then I can create a PR from that.

Darrell (Daz) DeBoer

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

casey.mcginty@gmail.com

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 7:30 AM, KARR, DAVID [via Gradle] <[hidden email]> wrote:

David, have you read this tutorial? I think the easiest solution is to check in all your changes and then push your local docfixes branch into your github account. If you are not familiar with rebasing I would try to avoid that step for now.

Casey

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

KARR, DAVID

Thanks, I’ll go through that.  I’m somewhat familiar with most of what I see there in a quick scan.  I haven’t done a rebase yet.  I understand the basic idea of a rebase, but as I described, I’m not sure what branch I should be rebasing to.

Sent from the gradle-dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM, KARR, DAVID [via Gradle] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

CTO Gradleware Inc. - Gradle Training, Support, Consulting

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

KARR, DAVID

Doing this from Eclipse, I chose “Commit” instead of “Commit and Push”.  I then rebased against “Local”->”master”, although it said there was nothing to do.  I also fetched from upstream, which seemed to return a bunch of changes on “master”.

I did some simple verification of the userguide build (and the main build).

I then tried to do “Push to Upstream”, but now I see that this option is greyed out.  There is a “Push Branch...” option, but I don’t know what that’s for.

I then decided to look at my fork on Github, and now I can’t even find it.  Was it somehow deleted, or am I just not looking for it correctly?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 7:30 AM, KARR, DAVID [via Gradle] <[hidden email]> wrote:

David, have you read this tutorial? I think the easiest solution is to check in all your changes and then push your local docfixes branch into your github account. If you are not familiar with rebasing I would try to avoid that step for now.

Casey

Sent from the gradle-dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Question about phrase in userguide doc

Daz DeBoer-2
Hi David

I have no experience of Eclipse+Git, nor do I know much about creating pull requests. I would recommend using git from the command line if possible.

The first thing to do is to get a pull request submitted. If you can send your github details somebody might be able to help. Then you should be able to follow the instructions in https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/How-to-Rebase-a-Pull-Request to rebase this pull request against the latests in master.

I guess in hindsight it would have been better to make a few small changes and submit them, rather than waiting until a lot of work has been done!
Daz