[RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

Eric Berry
I've been working on a release plugin that's similar to the Maven release plugin.

The process it follows is:
1.  Check to see if source is out of date
2.  Check to see if source needs to be checked in.
3.  Check for SNAPSHOT dependencies if required.
4.  Build && run Unit tests (build task)
5.  Run any other tasks the user specifies in convention.
6.  Update Snapshot version if used (to non-snapshot version)
7.  Commit un-Snapshot update (if done)
8.  Create tag of release.
9.  Update version to next version.
10. Commit version update.

I have support for Bazaar and SVN, and I'm looking for help getting support for Git and Mercurial, as well as any advice.

If anyone's interested the source can be downloaded on the launchpad project:
https://launchpad.net/gradle-release

If you have Bazaar installed it can be downloaded like so:
bzr branch lp:gradle-release

The plugin can be installed via the 'installPlugin' gradle task.

Cheers,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

Neil Chaudhuri
This has been one of two Maven features that have kept me from going fully to Gradle, so thanks so much for taking this challenge on.

The other is the inability to print console logs from unit tests when running TestNG. There is a JIRA for that one.

Thanks again.

jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

Hi Eric,

On 31/08/2011, at 5:44 AM, Eric Berry wrote:

> I've been working on a release plugin that's similar to the Maven release plugin.
>
> The process it follows is:
> 1.  Check to see if source is out of date
> 2.  Check to see if source needs to be checked in.
> 3.  Check for SNAPSHOT dependencies if required.
> 4.  Build && run Unit tests (build task)
> 5.  Run any other tasks the user specifies in convention.
> 6.  Update Snapshot version if used (to non-snapshot version)
> 7.  Commit un-Snapshot update (if done)
> 8.  Create tag of release.
> 9.  Update version to next version.
> 10. Commit version update.
>
> I have support for Bazaar and SVN, and I'm looking for help getting support for Git and Mercurial, as well as any advice.
>
> If anyone's interested the source can be downloaded on the launchpad project:
> https://launchpad.net/gradle-release
>
> If you have Bazaar installed it can be downloaded like so:
> bzr branch lp:gradle-release
>
> The plugin can be installed via the 'installPlugin' gradle task.

Thank you for putting in this work, I am sure it will please a lot of people :)

I'll take a detailed look over the next couple of days.

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

Eric Berry
Cool. Thanks Luke. Hopefully it'll be helpful to others. :)

Please let me know of any comments or advice you can give me.

Cheers.
Eric

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Luke Daley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eric,

On 31/08/2011, at 5:44 AM, Eric Berry wrote:

> I've been working on a release plugin that's similar to the Maven release plugin.
>
> The process it follows is:
> 1.  Check to see if source is out of date
> 2.  Check to see if source needs to be checked in.
> 3.  Check for SNAPSHOT dependencies if required.
> 4.  Build && run Unit tests (build task)
> 5.  Run any other tasks the user specifies in convention.
> 6.  Update Snapshot version if used (to non-snapshot version)
> 7.  Commit un-Snapshot update (if done)
> 8.  Create tag of release.
> 9.  Update version to next version.
> 10. Commit version update.
>
> I have support for Bazaar and SVN, and I'm looking for help getting support for Git and Mercurial, as well as any advice.
>
> If anyone's interested the source can be downloaded on the launchpad project:
> https://launchpad.net/gradle-release
>
> If you have Bazaar installed it can be downloaded like so:
> bzr branch lp:gradle-release
>
> The plugin can be installed via the 'installPlugin' gradle task.

Thank you for putting in this work, I am sure it will please a lot of people :)

I'll take a detailed look over the next couple of days.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

evgenyg
Hi Eric,

Excellent initiative, thank you! As I only use Git and GitHub for my Groovy projects - I'll be glad to work on filling the stubs for the Git part (http://goo.gl/zxMLJ), if you don't mind.
Best regards,
Evgeny
evgeny-goldin.com

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

Eric Berry
Hi Evgeny,
   That would be great. Let me know what I can do to help.

Cheers!
Eric

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:13 PM, evgenyg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eric,

Excellent initiative, thank you! As I only use Git and GitHub for my Groovy
projects - I'll be glad to work on filling the stubs for the Git part
(http://goo.gl/zxMLJ), if you don't mind.

-----
Best regards,

Evgeny

evgeny-goldin.com

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://eric-berry.blogspot.com
jEdit <http://www.jedit.org> - Programmer's Text Editor
Bazaar <http://bazaar.canonical.com> - Version Control for Humans

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

evgenyg
Great. I never worked with Bazaar so may have some questions along the way. What is the email I can contact you?
Best regards,
Evgeny
evgeny-goldin.com

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

Russel Winder
On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:35 -0700, evgenyg wrote:
> Great. I never worked with Bazaar so may have some questions along the way.
> What is the email I can contact you?

Bazaar is very easy to work with if you know Git and/or Mercurial.  The
crucial difference is that Git and Mercurial have repository (with
internal branches) at the core of the model, whereas Bazaar has the
branch as the main unit of exchange.  If you want to have many branches
of the same project then you can use a shared repository, but remember
this is a local storage optimization, not a part of the workflow.

Bazaar and Mercurial have a similar approach to command line, being
similar to Subversion to allow easy transition from Subversion (CVCS) to
the far more sane world of DVCS -- at least in a FOSS context.  Git's
command line structure is very(, very) different.

If you are into GUI rather than command line, use Bazaar Explorer.

--
Russel.

Re: [RFC][RFH] A release plugin.

evgenyg
Thanks, Russel. Appreciate your help! As a Git/Svn user I think it will be fun to start working with one more system.
Best regards,
Evgeny
evgeny-goldin.com