building gradle from source

JerodLass
This post was updated on .
When I try to build gradle from the source, it looks to be going fine, then after about 3 minutes I get an assertion error about how Person.class should exist but doesn't (in \build\distributions\exploded\samples\javaproject\shared).  This occurs while I am getting console output about how to execute the sample projects.  Is this a real problem and can I get around it?

Re: building gradle from source

On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:30 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> When I try to build gradle from the source, it looks to be going
> fine, then
> after about 3 minutes I get an assertion error about how
> Person.class should
> exist but doesn't (in
> \build\distributions\exploded\samples\javaproject\shared).  Is this
> a real
> problem and can I get around it?

Sorry, I have broken HEAD yesterday. You might do an update and give
it another try.

Re: building gradle from source

JerodLass
I got further now.  While executing the integTest task, after output about two ways to execute wrapper-test (gradlew hello, gradle wrapper), installation failed on an AssertionError:

Exception: org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: java.lang.AssertionError: Expression: (compareValue == (org.gradle.build.samples.WrapperProjectCreater.TEST_TASK_OUTPUT + n1)). Values: compareValue = -dist, n1 =
 Buildscript=gradlefile in line(s): 315

Total time: 177 seconds

Yesterday I was having a problem, at one point, with the WrapperTest, but today I checked the junit tests and the wrapper test succeeded completely.

On Jun 10, 2008, at 3:42 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> I got further now.  While executing the integTest task, after
> output about
> two ways to execute wrapper-test (gradlew hello, gradle wrapper),
> installation failed on an AssertionError:
>
> Exception: org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException:
> java.lang.AssertionError:
> Expression: (compareValue ==
> (org.gradle.build.samples.WrapperProjectCreater.TEST_TASK_OUTPUT +
> n1)).
> Values: compareValue = -dist, n1 =
>  Buildscript=gradlefile in line(s): 315

This looks like a bug I have fixed this morning. I guess you are
running on a windows machine?

What yields 'svn info' ?

- Hans

> Total time: 177 seconds
>
> Yesterday I was having a problem, at one point, with the
> WrapperTest, but
> today I checked the junit tests and the wrapper test succeeded
> completely.

Re: building gradle from source

JerodLass
Sadly, I am on windows.  svn info:

Repository UUID: 004c2c75-fc45-0410-b1a2-da8352e2331b
Revision: 574
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: hans_d
Last Changed Rev: 574
Last Changed Date; 2008-06-10 04:48:11 -0500 (Tue, 10 Jun 2008)

I do get several Unknown Resolver Lib messages near the beginning of an install, too.

What directory/gradlefile should I be installing from? I've tried many, but not sure what's going on.

On Jun 10, 2008, at 4:09 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> Sadly, I am on windows.  svn info:
>
> Repository UUID: 004c2c75-fc45-0410-b1a2-da8352e2331b
> Revision: 574
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: hans_d
> Last Changed Rev: 574
> Last Changed Date; 2008-06-10 04:48:11 -0500 (Tue, 10 Jun 2008)
>
> I do get several Unknown Resolver Lib messages near the beginning
> of an
> install, too.

Those messages are really annoying but don't mean anything. It is a
problem with Ivy. We have to get rid of them: http://
jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-33

> What directory/gradlefile should I be installing from? I've tried
> many, but
> not sure what's going on.

What is your checkout URL?

Usually you just go to the top level directory you have checked out
(gradle-core) and type:

gradle clean dists

Should I be using gradle or gradlew?  Any set release date for 1.5 yet?

Re: building gradle from source

JerodLass
Update: It built successfully when I ran "gradlew clean dists" from the gradle-core/trunk directory.

Assuming this will work, what kind of documentation is there for new features?  If nothing has officially been written yet, is there a quick list somewhere of added features? I'm particularly interested in the 'merge' function to get all resolved compile dependencies into one place so I can package it with an archive.

JerodLass wrote

On Jun 10, 2008, at 4:36 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> Update: It built successfully when I ran "gradlew clean dists" from
> the
> gradle-core/trunk directory.
>
> Assuming this will work, what kind of documentation is there for new
> features?  If nothing has officially been written yet, is there a
> quick list
> somewhere of added features? I'm particularly interested in the
> 'merge'
> function to get all resolved compile dependencies into one place so
> I can
> package it with an archive.

There is none right now. But we want to provide very good coverage
for archive handling in the user's guide of our next release. This
documentation should be available within the next days.

If you want to merge jars with your default archive just type:

yourProjectName_jar.merge('archive1.zip', 'archive2.zip')

You might also want to add a closure to define includes/excludes for
the content of the jars

yourProjectName_jar.merge('archive1.zip', 'archive2.zip') {
     exclude('**/*.gif)
}

You can have as many successive merge statements as you want.

- Hans

> JerodLass wrote:

>> Should I be using gradle or gradlew?  Any set release date for 1.5
>> yet?

Re: building gradle from source

Xavier Hanin
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 10, 2008, at 4:09 PM, JerodLass wrote:

Sadly, I am on windows.  svn info:

Repository UUID: 004c2c75-fc45-0410-b1a2-da8352e2331b
Revision: 574
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: hans_d
Last Changed Rev: 574
Last Changed Date; 2008-06-10 04:48:11 -0500 (Tue, 10 Jun 2008)

I do get several Unknown Resolver Lib messages near the beginning of an
install, too.

Those messages are really annoying but don't mean anything. It is a problem with Ivy. We have to get rid of them: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-33
We may move these messages to a lower level in Ivy if you open an issue. Very few people are able to understand them, and in most cases you can simply ignore them, so I guess a verbose level would be enough. Feel free to open a jira for that in Ivy.

Xavier

What directory/gradlefile should I be installing from? I've tried many, but
not sure what's going on.

What is your checkout URL?

Usually you just go to the top level directory you have checked out (gradle-core) and type:

gradle clean dists

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: building gradle from source

Hi Xavier,

On Jun 10, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Xavier Hanin wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> On Jun 10, 2008, at 4:09 PM, JerodLass wrote:
>

> Sadly, I am on windows.  svn info:
>
> Repository UUID: 004c2c75-fc45-0410-b1a2-da8352e2331b
> Revision: 574
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: hans_d
> Last Changed Rev: 574
> Last Changed Date; 2008-06-10 04:48:11 -0500 (Tue, 10 Jun 2008)
>
> I do get several Unknown Resolver Lib messages near the beginning
> of an
> install, too.
>
> Those messages are really annoying but don't mean anything. It is a
> problem with Ivy. We have to get rid of them: http://
> jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-33
> We may move these messages to a lower level in Ivy if you open an
> issue. Very few people are able to understand them, and in most
> cases you can simply ignore them, so I guess a verbose level would
> be enough. Feel free to open a jira for that in Ivy.

I have opened a Jira for something similar already :).

I have added a comment to describe the context for the error messages
mentioned in this mail.

- Hans