child processes' names

Szczepan Faber-2
Hey guys,

Is there a specific reason why all our worker processes (compiler, test executor, findbugs, etc.) are named the same way "Gradle Worker x"? It seems better if we call them "Gradle Compiler Daemon x", "Gradle Test Executor x", etc.

Cheers!
Szczepan Faber
Principal engineer@gradle; Founder@mockito

Re: child processes' names

Adam Murdoch

On 21 Feb 2014, at 6:24 am, Szczepan Faber <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey guys,

Is there a specific reason why all our worker processes (compiler, test executor, findbugs, etc.) are named the same way "Gradle Worker x"? It seems better if we call them "Gradle Compiler Daemon x", "Gradle Test Executor x", etc.

There’s no reason, other than we haven’t given the WorkerProcessBuilder client a way to give a display name yet. Feel free to add it.

Re: child processes' names

Szczepan Faber-2
So I've changed the names of the processes a while ago.

I'm wondering if it would useful to create empty classes like GradleTestExecutor extends GradleWorkerMain and GradleCompilerDaemon extends GradleWorkerMain, plug them in, then enjoy better output from jps -m / ps (useful when debugging process issues).

Cheers!

Szczepan Faber