deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

Marko Bauhardt-3
hi all,
we have a project that contains about 20 subproject. but it is no
multiproject. and some modules are builded it with maven 1 and some
modules with maven 2.
so i plan to replace the complete maven build with gradle. but i have
todo this step by step because it is a project which is in production
and i have todo this carefully.

So my 'problem' is that only the ivy.xml files with the jar files are
deployed to our maven repository. but we need the pom files in our
repo because the rest of the projects is build with maven and need to
download the jars via maven.

So my question is: is it possible or exists a workaround that the
deploy process deploy

1) the jar file
2) the ivy file
3) the maven2 pom file
4) and the maven1 pom file

to our maven repo.

thanks for help or any hints
marko

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

Hi Marko,

On Jul 4, 2008, at 4:06 PM, Marko Bauhardt wrote:

> hi all,
> we have a project that contains about 20 subproject. but it is no
> multiproject. and some modules are builded it with maven 1 and some
> modules with maven 2.
> so i plan to replace the complete maven build with gradle. but i
> have todo this step by step because it is a project which is in
> production and i have todo this carefully.
>
> So my 'problem' is that only the ivy.xml files with the jar files
> are deployed to our maven repository. but we need the pom files in
> our repo because the rest of the projects is build with maven and
> need to download the jars via maven.
>
> So my question is: is it possible or exists a workaround that the
> deploy process deploy
>
> 1) the jar file
> 2) the ivy file
> 3) the maven2 pom file

I don't think it is possible yet to deploy pom's. But I'm confident
that this will eventually be implemented. I have just asked on the
Ivy list about the status of this feature.

> 4) and the maven1 pom file

I don't know if Ivy can deal with Maven 1 poms. It is many years ago
that I have worked with Maven 1. As far as I can remember Maven 1 did
not offer transitive dependency handling. What is the purpose of a
Maven 1 pom in a repository?

- Hans

> to our maven repo.
>
> thanks for help or any hints
> marko

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

Xavier Hanin
On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As I read this before Ivy list question, the status is that this is not supported, but contributions are welcome.

4) and the maven1 pom file

I don't know if Ivy can deal with Maven 1 poms.
Nope.

It is many years ago that I have worked with Maven 1. As far as I can remember Maven 1 did not offer transitive dependency handling.
Indeed.

What is the purpose of a Maven 1 pom in a repository?
I don't know.

Xavier

- Hans

to our maven repo.

thanks for help or any hints
marko

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

Hi Xavier,

On Jul 5, 2008, at 8:11 AM, Xavier Hanin wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Hans Dockter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Marko,
>

> On Jul 4, 2008, at 4:06 PM, Marko Bauhardt wrote:
>
> hi all,
> we have a project that contains about 20 subproject. but it is no
> multiproject. and some modules are builded it with maven 1 and some
> modules with maven 2.
> so i plan to replace the complete maven build with gradle. but i
> have todo this step by step because it is a project which is in
> production and i have todo this carefully.
>
> So my 'problem' is that only the ivy.xml files with the jar files
> are deployed to our maven repository. but we need the pom files in
> our repo because the rest of the projects is build with maven and
> need to download the jars via maven.
>
> So my question is: is it possible or exists a workaround that the
> deploy process deploy
>
> 1) the jar file
> 2) the ivy file
> 3) the maven2 pom file
>
> I don't think it is possible yet to deploy pom's. But I'm confident
> that this will eventually be implemented. I have just asked on the
> Ivy list about the status of this feature.
> As I read this before Ivy list question, the status is that this is
> not supported, but contributions are welcome.

I have posted some ideas on the ivy-dev list.

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

astubbs
Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are asking correctly - but,
Can't you just keep the old maven files and customise the deployment process so that it also copies the pom files to the deployment target?

I mean isn't that one of the points of Gradle - that it's highly customisable?

The drawback of this approach is that you will have to maintain your maven poms by hand until you are completely migrated.

Marko Bauhardt-3 wrote
[...]

Hi Antony,

On Jul 14, 2008, at 4:23 AM, Antony Stubbs wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are asking correctly - but,
> Can't you just keep the old maven files and customise the
> deployment process
> so that it also copies the pom files to the deployment target?
>
> I mean isn't that one of the points of Gradle - that it's highly
> customisable?
>
> The drawback of this approach is that you will have to maintain
> your maven
> poms by hand until you are completely migrated.

The use case is that projects build by Gradle produce artifacts which
are needed by other Maven projects. For this we would like to be able
to create a pom on the fly and deploy it together with the artifact
to a Maven repository.

- Hans

> Marko Bauhardt-3 wrote:
>>
>> hi all,
>> we have a project that contains about 20 subproject. but it is no
>> multiproject. and some modules are builded it with maven 1 and some
>> modules with maven 2.
>> so i plan to replace the complete maven build with gradle. but i have
>> todo this step by step because it is a project which is in production
>> and i have todo this carefully.
>>
>> So my 'problem' is that only the ivy.xml files with the jar files are
>> deployed to our maven repository. but we need the pom files in our
>> repo because the rest of the projects is build with maven and need to
>> download the jars via maven.
>>
>> So my question is: is it possible or exists a workaround that the
>> deploy process deploy
>>
>> 1) the jar file
>> 2) the ivy file
>> 3) the maven2 pom file
>> 4) and the maven1 pom file
>>
>> to our maven repo.
>>
>> thanks for help or any hints
>> marko

> -----

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

astubbs
Yes I understand that. I was suggesting he keep his old pom file and just modify the deployer so it deploys his pom as well as the standard artifacts. The disadvantage is the upkeep of the maven file by hand.

(btw - you're up early - 4am??)

hdockter wrote
Hi Antony,

On Jul 14, 2008, at 4:23 AM, Antony Stubbs wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are asking correctly - but,
> Can't you just keep the old maven files and customise the
> deployment process
> so that it also copies the pom files to the deployment target?
>
> I mean isn't that one of the points of Gradle - that it's highly
> customisable?
>
> The drawback of this approach is that you will have to maintain
> your maven
> poms by hand until you are completely migrated.

The use case is that projects build by Gradle produce artifacts which
are needed by other Maven projects. For this we would like to be able
to create a pom on the fly and deploy it together with the artifact
to a Maven repository.

- Hans

> Marko Bauhardt-3 wrote:
>>
>> hi all,
>> we have a project that contains about 20 subproject. but it is no
>> multiproject. and some modules are builded it with maven 1 and some
>> modules with maven 2.
>> so i plan to replace the complete maven build with gradle. but i have
>> todo this step by step because it is a project which is in production
>> and i have todo this carefully.
>>
>> So my 'problem' is that only the ivy.xml files with the jar files are
>> deployed to our maven repository. but we need the pom files in our
>> repo because the rest of the projects is build with maven and need to
>> download the jars via maven.
>>
>> So my question is: is it possible or exists a workaround that the
>> deploy process deploy
>>
>> 1) the jar file
>> 2) the ivy file
>> 3) the maven2 pom file
>> 4) and the maven1 pom file
>>
>> to our maven repo.
>>
>> thanks for help or any hints
>> marko

> -----

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

Hi Antony,

On Jul 14, 2008, at 6:23 AM, Antony Stubbs wrote:

> Yes I understand that. I was suggesting he keep his old pom file
> and just
> modify the deployer so it deploys his pom as well as the standard
> artifacts.
> The disadvantage is the upkeep of the maven file by hand.

This is a work around as long as Gradle can't offer anything better.
But as Ivy has a createPom functionality its should not be too hard
for Gradle to push a pom generated on the fly to a Maven repo.

> (btw - you're up early - 4am??)

6am. Do some work before my children get up. :)

- Hans

> hdockter wrote:
>>
>> Hi Antony,
>>
>> On Jul 14, 2008, at 4:23 AM, Antony Stubbs wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are asking correctly -
>>> but,
>>> Can't you just keep the old maven files and customise the
>>> deployment process
>>> so that it also copies the pom files to the deployment target?
>>>
>>> I mean isn't that one of the points of Gradle - that it's highly
>>> customisable?
>>>
>>> The drawback of this approach is that you will have to maintain
>>> your maven
>>> poms by hand until you are completely migrated.
>>
>> The use case is that projects build by Gradle produce artifacts which
>> are needed by other Maven projects. For this we would like to be able
>> to create a pom on the fly and deploy it together with the artifact
>> to a Maven repository.
>>
>> - Hans

>>> -----

>> Hans Dockter
>> Gradle Project lead
>> http://www.gradle.org

> -----

Re: deploy ivy.xml and pom.xml ?

Marko Bauhardt-3
Hi antony, hi hans

Ah, yes. This is a very good idea.
A second "problem" is that we deploying snapshots. that means that the
version in the pom.xml is e.g. 1.0-SNAPSHOT.
But maven copy this file as a unique version e.g. 1.0-TIMESTAMP-
BUILD_NUMBER. After that maven updates a maven-metadata.xml. This file
contains the latest deployed artifact snapshot version.
so what i need to arrive a maven compatibility is the deploying of the
pom.xml to say maven what  are the dependencies and the metadata.xml
to say maven what are the latest snapshot.

anyway. i have to realize the deploying of the pom.xml and of the
maven-metadata.xml in a extra step of the gradle build.

thanks for the hint
marko