hello world feedback

Stefan Groschupf
Hey,
congrats on the new tool.
Just some stupid not important feedback regading the hello world.
The hello world should look as easy as possible. As less text to read.
So I suggest name the build file name with the standard name and do
not use the quite switch.

So instead:
"gradle -q -bhellofile hello "
it can look like
"gradle hello"

What looks much easier and friendly to me. In general all
documentation should use convention and mention that it can be changed.
That makes things easier to understand.

Good work - I'm looking forward to explore it more.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: hello world feedback

Hi Stefan,

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:47 PM, Stefan Groschupf wrote:
Hey,
congrats on the new tool.
Just some stupid not important feedback regading the hello world.
The hello world should look as easy as possible. As less text to read.
So I suggest name the build file name with the standard name and do not use the quite switch.

So instead:
"gradle -q -bhellofile hello "
it can look like
"gradle hello"

What looks much easier and friendly to me. In general all documentation should use convention and mention that it can be changed.
That makes things easier to understand.

The examples in this tutorial are supposed to show the concepts. But they are untypical as real life build scripts.

The output they have is to the console.
They don't rely on any other files.

As we want to make those examples very readable, we use the -q option to suppress the normal Gradle status output. As we don't need to have a directory for each example, we put all those examples in one folder. Of course they can't have all the default name then. Therefore we use -b option to specify the name for the build script file. We should make it clearer in the userguide why we use this options here.

Thanks for the feedback