howto retrieve sources for thirdparty-libs

howto retrieve sources for thirdparty-libs

helmut.denk
hello gradle-users,

is there a decent way, to let gradle retrieve lib-sources
to the ide-workspace (or another proper location), so that
a comfortable debug into thirdparty-code is possible ?

in our 'pre-gradle' ;-) builds we do kind of this:

<dependency org="com.lowagie" name="itext" rev="2.0.8" conf="compile->default">
    <artifact name="itext" type="jar" ext="jar"/>
    <artifact name="itext" type="source" ext="src.zip"/>
</dependency>

(we retrieve all artifacts through cache to $basedir/lib
and handset build-path with source-attachments)

this is probably a point for the 'gradle eclipse' command too.

fg h. denk

Re: howto retrieve sources for thirdparty-libs

Hi Helmut,

On Sep 2, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Helmut Denk wrote:

> hello gradle-users,
>
> is there a decent way, to let gradle retrieve lib-sources
> to the ide-workspace (or another proper location), so that
> a comfortable debug into thirdparty-code is possible ?
>
> in our 'pre-gradle' ;-) builds we do kind of this:
>
> <dependency org="com.lowagie" name="itext" rev="2.0.8"
> conf="compile->default">
>     <artifact name="itext" type="jar" ext="jar"/>
>     <artifact name="itext" type="source" ext="src.zip"/>
> </dependency>
>
> (we retrieve all artifacts through cache to $basedir/lib
> and handset build-path with source-attachments)

apologies for the late response. I'm often torn between focussing on
implementing a certain feature and being responsive to the community.

For the first iteration of our Ivy DSL the aim was to provide as
least as much as the Maven dependency management does. It provides
only a subset of what is possible with Ivy. As we want to enable all
the power of Ivy in an easy way we follow a couple of strategies:

- Enhance our DSL. The above use case definitely should be solvable
with our DSL. Please file a Jira. BTW: Such stuff is very easy to
implement. We have a class ModuleDependency which creates an Ivy
ModuleDescriptor. So we just have to add methods/properties to a
ModuelDependency and then stuff it into the Ivy ModuleDescriptor object.
- What you can do now already is, to create your own Ivy
ModuleDescriptor object and add it to the dependencies. This would
solve your use case above. Not as convenient as it should be though.
- For 0.4: Add a listener framework around the Ivy objects the Gradle
Ivy DSL creates.

- Hans

> this is probably a point for the 'gradle eclipse' command too.

That would be nice. I have happily used such a feature with the Maven
Eclipse plugin.

Please another Jira :)

Re: howto retrieve sources for thirdparty-libs

helmut.denk
This post was updated on .
hi hans,

somehow i knew, that the sources-problem can be solved by
combining ivy and some convention. that combination, together
with dsl-technique is a real winner ...

as i am convinced of its quality. i have mentioned gradle in some
of the community-forums, that i visit ... i hope you dont mind.

IMO an adaption of gradle by the springframework would be great.
i think, they build partly with maven and partly with ant + ivy. their
build-quality is not bad, but could be better and they surely want
to unify their builds. you may know their repository.

im afraid there is another topic in my mind, that i will ask stupid questions
about soon: release-build ;-)  ... sometimes stupid questions are helpful
too, are'nt they ?

thank you & have a successful day

hdockter wrote

I have filed: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-201

> as i am convinced of its quality. i have mentioned gradle in some
> of the community-forums, that i visit ... i hope you dont mind.

Perfect. Thanks a lot for this.

> IMO an adaption of gradle by the springframework would be great.
> i think, they build partly with maven and partly with ant + ivy. there
> build-quality is not bad, but could be better and they surely want
> to unify their builds. you may know their
> http://www.springsource.com/repository repository .

Eventually an adaption of Gradle by some Java light house project
would be extremely helpful. Spring would be more or less on the top
of this list. I have a lot of respect for this project.

> im afraid there is another topic in my mind, that i will ask stupid
> questions
> about soon: release-build ;-)

Releases are an important topic. We don't provide out-of-the-box
functionality for this yet. But the custom logic of the Gradle build
shows what is possible. One requirement for out-of-the-box release
management is of course the support of different kinds of VCS's.

> ... sometimes stupid questions are helpful
> too, are'nt they ?

Extremely helpful to push the project :)