incremental compilation

Ross Black-2
Hi,

Related to http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-66, I had a brief look at the current state of Javamake.
I updated the issue with my initial findings but thought this was a better forum for discussion.
Javamake has not had a release since Mar 2005 (I mistaken said 2008 in the issue report).

I just sent an email to the person who original developed it to see if they could indicate what its status was, but unfortunately that email bounced.

It does not consist of a vast amount of code, but there are no tests.  There is some documentation on how to use it, and I still have a copy of a technical article about its design that I received from the author years ago (OOPSLA'02, November 48, 2002, Seattle, Washington, USA. Copyright 2002 ACM 1581134171/02/0011).

I assume that because the code is GPL it is not possible to add into the gradle source repository?
I suppose it is possible to fork it and host it somewhere else, but I dont really know the issues surround this or license issues if using it from gradle.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ross

Re: incremental compilation

Johannes Zillmann
Has somebody looked into the eclipse compiler ?

Looks like it can do incremental compiling and have a ant integration. Not sure how standalone it is...

Johannes

On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Ross Black wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
101tec GmbH
Halle (Saale), Saxony-Anhalt, Germany

Re: incremental compilation

Hi Ross,

On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Ross Black wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Related to http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-66, I had a brief
> look at the current state of Javamake.
> I updated the issue with my initial findings but thought this was a
> better forum for discussion.
> Javamake has not had a release since Mar 2005 (I mistaken said 2008
> in the issue report).
>
> I just sent an email to the person who original developed it to see
> if they could indicate what its status was, but unfortunately that
> email bounced.
>
> It does not consist of a vast amount of code, but there are no
> tests.  There is some documentation on how to use it, and I still
> have a copy of a technical article about its design that I received
> from the author years ago (OOPSLA'02, November 48, 2002, Seattle,
> Washington, USA. Copyright 2002 ACM 1581134171/02/0011).
>
> I assume that because the code is GPL it is not possible to add
> into the gradle source repository?

I'm not an expert for licensing, but I think in this case there is no
chance.

> I suppose it is possible to fork it and host it somewhere else, but
> I dont really know the issues surround this or license issues if
> using it from gradle.

I gonna ask some people who know better than me about those licensing
issues. That might be an option.

I will let you know when I know more.

Re: incremental compilation

Hi Johannes,

On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Johannes Zillmann wrote:

> Has somebody looked into the eclipse compiler ?
> http://help.eclipse.org/help21/index.jsp?topic=/
> org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/guide/jdt_api_compile.htm
>
> Looks like it can do incremental compiling and have a ant
> integration. Not sure how standalone it is...

Interesting idea. I guess it is pretty stand alone. A couple of other
projects are using it stand alone AFAIK. It would be awesome if you
could have a look into this :)

Re: incremental compilation

Johannes Zillmann
Hi Hans,

On Sep 19, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Hans Dockter wrote:

Hi Johannes,

On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Johannes Zillmann wrote:

Has somebody looked into the eclipse compiler ?
http://help.eclipse.org/help21/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/guide/jdt_api_compile.htm

Looks like it can do incremental compiling and have a ant integration. Not sure how standalone it is...

Interesting idea. I guess it is pretty stand alone. A couple of other projects are using it stand alone AFAIK. It would be awesome if you could have a look into this :)

i really would like to help, i think (and experienced already) that gradle can make a developers life much more smoother!
BUT...
You might not know but i'm working for a company which really keeps me busy all the time. :)
So please don't count on me !

However, i think
is the projects main page...

Johannes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Sep 22, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Johannes Zillmann wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> On Sep 19, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Hans Dockter wrote:
>
>> Hi Johannes,
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Johannes Zillmann wrote:
>>
>>> Has somebody looked into the eclipse compiler ?
>>> http://help.eclipse.org/help21/index.jsp?topic=/
>>> org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/guide/jdt_api_compile.htm
>>>
>>> Looks like it can do incremental compiling and have a ant
>>> integration. Not sure how standalone it is...
>>
>> Interesting idea. I guess it is pretty stand alone. A couple of
>> other projects are using it stand alone AFAIK. It would be awesome
>> if you could have a look into this :)
>
> i really would like to help, i think (and experienced already) that
> gradle can make a developers life much more smoother!
> BUT...
> You might not know but i'm working for a company which really keeps
> me busy all the time. :)
> So please don't count on me !
>
> However, i think
> http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/core/index.php
> is the projects main page...

Fair enough (I was not asking for implementing this feature just
looking into the stand alone capabilities). Anyway, the website is
always a good start ;)

Thanks