lengthy libs execution

JerodLass
When gradle's output gets to:

++Executing: libs Recursive: true Startproject: :

It stalls for a very long time.  I have not noticed this before, but this is a new project so the following are potential causes:
-My top-level gradle script is a bit longer than any previous
-The project has 21 subprojects, each with generally between 20 and 100 classes but a few have 200-300 and one has 1700 classes
-Before, my individual gradle scripts were organized by project dependencies, then artifact, then module, but not they are somewhat random

Just on the line I mentioned, gradle sits still for around 140 seconds.  This gets significantly worse with each subproject/module I add to the build.

Is there something I can do differently or is this fine or is it a concern? Thank you.

-Jerod

Re: lengthy libs execution

Hi Jerod,

On Jul 9, 2008, at 11:50 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> When gradle's output gets to:
>
> ++Executing: libs Recursive: true Startproject: :
>
> It stalls for a very long time.  I have not noticed this before,
> but this is
> a new project so the following are potential causes:
> -My top-level gradle script is a bit longer than any previous
> -The project has 21 subprojects, each with generally between 20 and
> 100
> classes but a few have 200-300 and one has 1700 classes
> -Before, my individual gradle scripts were organized by project
> dependencies, then artifact, then module, but not they are somewhat
> random
>
> Just on the line I mentioned, gradle sits still for around 140
> seconds.
> This gets significantly worse with each subproject/module I add to the
> build.
>
> Is there something I can do differently or is this fine or is it a
> concern?

It is a concern with the 0.2 release. In trunk things are much faster
but trunk is broken right now. This will be fixed tomorrow. I will
also upload a snapshot release tomorrow. I hope things will be more
convenient then. I gonna announce this snapshot release on the
mailing list.

Re: lengthy libs execution

Hi Jerod,

On Jul 10, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi Jerod,
>
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 11:50 PM, JerodLass wrote:
>

>> When gradle's output gets to:
>>
>> ++Executing: libs Recursive: true Startproject: :
>>
>> It stalls for a very long time.  I have not noticed this before,
>> but this is
>> a new project so the following are potential causes:
>> -My top-level gradle script is a bit longer than any previous
>> -The project has 21 subprojects, each with generally between 20
>> and 100
>> classes but a few have 200-300 and one has 1700 classes
>> -Before, my individual gradle scripts were organized by project
>> dependencies, then artifact, then module, but not they are
>> somewhat random
>>
>> Just on the line I mentioned, gradle sits still for around 140
>> seconds.
>> This gets significantly worse with each subproject/module I add to
>> the
>> build.
>>
>> Is there something I can do differently or is this fine or is it a
>> concern?
>
> It is a concern with the 0.2 release. In trunk things are much
> faster but trunk is broken right now. This will be fixed tomorrow.
> I will also upload a snapshot release tomorrow. I hope things will
> be more convenient then. I gonna announce this snapshot release on
> the mailing list.

How is the performance with the new snapshot?

Re: lengthy libs execution

JerodLass
The performance now is very good.  I don't have the latest snapshot, but I am building the huge multi-project in around 120 seconds.  29 projects, 4 web, 1-1700+ java files each.

Jerod

hdockter wrote

On Jul 15, 2008, at 6:19 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> The performance now is very good.  I don't have the latest
> snapshot, but I am
> building the huge multi-project in around 120 seconds.  29
> projects, 4 web,
> 1-1700+ java files each.

Good to hear. For our reference build (The Apache Abdera project) we
are already significantly faster than Maven. I continue to bother you
to get new performance numbers after we think we have achieved some
more performance improvements. There are a couple of areas left were
we can still speed up things.

- Hans