non top-level project root

JerodLass
I would like to have the following structure for my projects:
-D ProjectsDir
  -DProject1
  -DProject2
  -Dbuilds
The reason for this is that the projectsDir is to be my main CVS directory, and this way my build logic can be a module rather than a set of files in the top-level directory.  I would otherwise have to declare settings, properties, and build each as modules for a CIS app to pull them for builds, as well as any gradlewrapper files.  If they change names, I have to go redeclare them in the continuous integration configuration.  First, I changed the included projects to ../ and it found them, but then project dependencies cannot be resolved.  If I change the project dependencies to ../ it gets a little further but breaks on the error:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\user\.gradle\cache\resolved-org.gradle-..\Project1-1.0.xml (the system cannot find the file specified) in buildscript

Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help...

Jerod

Re: non top-level project root

Hi Jerod,

On Jun 27, 2008, at 5:41 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> I would like to have the following structure for my projects:
> -D ProjectsDir
>   -DProject1
>   -DProject2
>   -Dbuilds
> The reason for this is that the projectsDir is to be my main CVS
> directory,
> and this way my build logic can be a module rather than a set of
> files in
> the top-level directory.  I would otherwise have to declare settings,
> properties, and build each as modules for a CIS app to pull them
> for builds,
> as well as any gradlewrapper files.  If they change names, I have
> to go
> redeclare them in the continuous integration configuration.  First, I
> changed the included projects to ../ and it found them, but then
> project
> dependencies cannot be resolved.  If I change the project
> dependencies to
> ../ it gets a little further but breaks on the error:
>
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and
> Settings\user\.gradle\cache\resolved-org.gradle-..\Project1-1.0.xml
> (the
> system cannot find the file specified) in buildscript
>
> Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help...

Unfortunately not yet. It is an inflexibility that I hope we overcome
rather sooner than later. We want to support arbitray multiproject
layouts in the future.

- Hans

> Jerod

Re: non top-level project root

JerodLass
Any updates on this issue? It's becoming more important to me as I am working more with distributed projects, and it is much more convenient for version control to see the builds as a module.  Has anyone opened a jira for this?

Thanks,
Jerod

hdockter wrote

On Aug 5, 2008, at 5:21 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> Any updates on this issue? It's becoming more important to me as I
> am working
> more with distributed projects, and it is much more convenient for
> version
> control to see the builds as a module.  Has anyone opened a jira
> for this?

The Jira is: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-158

No work on this has started yet, except that Adam has added
prerequisite functionality for this (In 0.3 you can now trigger
partial builds from the root of the multiproject hierarchy.)

We consider this a high priority issue. So hopefully it will make it
into 0.4.