some general questions

jaco.uys
Hi Hans,

Congrats, this is really a great project.

I have set up a multiproject scenario and it works great, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Every time I compile, it seems to compile the src from scratch and not only what has changed.

2. The resolving of dependencies takes a fairly long time. It seems that the dependency is always checked against the remote repo's. Can I configure a local cache which is checked first and maybe only when explicitly enabled to go the full route.

Regards Jaco

Re: some general questions

Hi Jaco,

On Jun 3, 2008, at 8:13 PM, jaco.uys wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> Congrats, this is really a great project.
>
> I have set up a multiproject scenario and it works great, but I have a
> couple of questions.
>
> 1. Every time I compile, it seems to compile the src from scratch
> and not
> only what has changed.

We delegate to ant javacs. As long as you don't do a clean before,
ant javac tries to be smart about what to recompile. A warning: javac
is not particularly smart. For a reliable build you probably need to
do a clean.

> 2. The resolving of dependencies takes a fairly long time. It seems
> that the
> dependency is always checked against the remote repo's. Can I
> configure a
> local cache which is checked first and maybe only when explicitly
> enabled to
> go the full route.

Gradle is supposed to use a cache. I'm wondering why it might not
work in your case. You might start gradle with the -j options. That
way the debug mode of ivy is enabled. You get swamped with debug
statements, but it enables you to figure out whether the cache is
used or a remote access takes place.

-Hans