transitive dependencies

JerodLass
How can I tell gradle to look at every resolver for a dependency, even if it's transitive?  Right now, I have the following setup:

dependencies{
    addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/')
    addMavenRepo()
}

I also have dependencies that can be found in either repository.  However, some modules in my local repo have trans dependencies that are not in my local repo.  If I depend on these modules, gradle will find them in my local repo and then I get unresolved dependencies because it then only looks in the local repo for transitive dependencies.  I need gradle to look in at all resolvers no matter what kind of dependency it is.

-Jerod

Re: transitive dependencies

Hi Jerod,

On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:46 PM, JerodLass wrote:

> How can I tell gradle to look at every resolver for a dependency,
> even if
> it's transitive?  Right now, I have the following setup:
>
> dependencies{
>     addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/')
>     addMavenRepo()
> }
>
> I also have dependencies that can be found in either repository.
> However,
> some modules in my local repo have trans dependencies that are not
> in my
> local repo.  If I depend on these modules, gradle will find them in
> my local
> repo and then I get unresolved dependencies because it then only
> looks in
> the local repo for transitive dependencies.  I need gradle to look
> in at all
> resolvers no matter what kind of dependency it is.

Right. That would be the behavior I expect from Gradle. If it does
not behave like this it is a bug. I'm surprised as we have
integration tests testing this. Could you please file a Jira with fix
for 0.3?

On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi Jerod,
>
> On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:46 PM, JerodLass wrote:
>

>> How can I tell gradle to look at every resolver for a dependency,
>> even if
>> it's transitive?  Right now, I have the following setup:
>>
>> dependencies{
>>     addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/')
>>     addMavenRepo()
>> }
>>
>> I also have dependencies that can be found in either repository.
>> However,
>> some modules in my local repo have trans dependencies that are not
>> in my
>> local repo.  If I depend on these modules, gradle will find them
>> in my local
>> repo and then I get unresolved dependencies because it then only
>> looks in
>> the local repo for transitive dependencies.  I need gradle to look
>> in at all
>> resolvers no matter what kind of dependency it is.
>
> Right. That would be the behavior I expect from Gradle. If it does
> not behave like this it is a bug. I'm surprised as we have
> integration tests testing this. Could you please file a Jira with
> fix for 0.3?

after reading the detailed description in your Jira: http://
jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-160 I can say that this is
fortunately not a bug. See the user's guide section 12.5.2 were we
describe a similar use case, just the other way round.

As the Maven pom of the transitive dependency is in your local repo
but not the jar, you have to do the following:

addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/',
DependencyManager.MAVEN_REPO_URL)

That should work.

On Jul 18, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Hans Dockter wrote:

> Hi Jerod,
>
> On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Hans Dockter wrote:
>
>> Hi Jerod,
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:46 PM, JerodLass wrote:
>>

>>> How can I tell gradle to look at every resolver for a dependency,
>>> even if
>>> it's transitive?  Right now, I have the following setup:
>>>
>>> dependencies{
>>>     addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/')
>>>     addMavenRepo()
>>> }
>>>
>>> I also have dependencies that can be found in either repository.
>>> However,
>>> some modules in my local repo have trans dependencies that are
>>> not in my
>>> local repo.  If I depend on these modules, gradle will find them
>>> in my local
>>> repo and then I get unresolved dependencies because it then only
>>> looks in
>>> the local repo for transitive dependencies.  I need gradle to
>>> look in at all
>>> resolvers no matter what kind of dependency it is.
>>
>> Right. That would be the behavior I expect from Gradle. If it does
>> not behave like this it is a bug. I'm surprised as we have
>> integration tests testing this. Could you please file a Jira with
>> fix for 0.3?
>
> after reading the detailed description in your Jira: http://
> jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRADLE-160 I can say that this is
> fortunately not a bug. See the user's guide section 12.5.2 were we
> describe a similar use case, just the other way round.
>
> As the Maven pom of the transitive dependency is in your local repo
> but not the jar, you have to do the following:
>
> addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/',
> DependencyManager.MAVEN_REPO_URL)

To avoid any confusion: You could of course also write:
addMavenStyleRepo('MyRepo', 'http://localserv.com/maven-repo/',
"http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/")

You can also pass as many Jar repositories as you like, not just one.

- Hans