upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Ioan Eugen Stan
Hello,

Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?

I am interested in helping out.

Long story, some of my reasoning and refined questions:

I'm a software consultant/developer and I work mostly with Java/Groovy
and Maven. I'm also a Debian contributor and would like to see better
JVM support on Debian - going for Mainainer. I  think that Groovy
(especially with Grapes) has a very important role, I won't go into
details here.
I also believe that many Debian maintainers prefer Gradle over Maven -
it seems that Gradle applications are easier to package with respect
to the Debian Policy which mandates all dependenies must also be
available as Debian packages.

Debian (and Ubuntu) are very popular as development and production
platforms and people generally prefer and trust packages from main
distribution (stability and security). With this in mind, the two
distributions offer a very good distribution channel and will
encourage adoption of both Gradle and Groovy and the JVM.

That being said, I would like to get Groovy 2 in Debian in time for
Jessie which is this November .Debian has a release cycle of ~ 2
years, and no new major versions are added in the mean time so if it
doesn't make it now, it won't make it until the next release.

The only problem is that Groovy 2 is built with Gradle which in turn
has a dependency on Groovy 1.8.x which is not good. Maintaining two
Groovy versions in Debian comes with a very big cost so the only
conclusion is - upgrade Gradle to Groovy.

I'm a very good Java developer, ok with Groovy with ~ zero Gradle
knowledge and I would like to put some time in making the upgrade
provided:

- it's doable (no major braking changes to the current version)
- you (community) are willing to integrate the changes upstream
- you (community) are willing to lend a hand to get me started - some
steps, what are the requirements for integrating the changes, etc.

p.s. I may be biased on the above, but there is truth in there.

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Daz DeBoer-2
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?

Short answer: we can't switch to Groovy 2 without breaking compiled plugins, and we have a strict backward compatibility standard for minor releases.

Since we haven't deprecated support for Groovy 1.8.6, it's unlikely we'll remove support for this version in Gradle 2.0, our next major release.

Instead, I believe the plan is to introduce the ability for Gradle to handle multiple Groovy versions. If this were done, it _should_ be possible to build and use Gradle on a platform that does not have 1.8.6 support (perhaps with some tweaks to enable this). But adding this ability will be a non-trivial undertaking.

If you're still keen to help out we'd welcome the contribution, and I'm sure you'll find others who would also be willing to pitch in on this change.

Daz

[...]

Adam Murdoch

On 24 Feb 2014, at 10:48 am, Daz DeBoer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?

Short answer: we can't switch to Groovy 2 without breaking compiled plugins, and we have a strict backward compatibility standard for minor releases.

Since we haven't deprecated support for Groovy 1.8.6, it's unlikely we'll remove support for this version in Gradle 2.0, our next major release.

Instead, I believe the plan is to introduce the ability for Gradle to handle multiple Groovy versions. If this were done, it _should_ be possible to build and use Gradle on a platform that does not have 1.8.6 support (perhaps with some tweaks to enable this). But adding this ability will be a non-trivial undertaking.

It is. We can chop this up into smaller pieces, though. Here’s a potential plan:

1. Change the Gradle build to create binaries against both Groovy 1.8.x and 2.x. That is, we’d create two variants of each distribution, with each variant supporting only a single version of Groovy. At this stage, the Groovy 2 distributions would be completely experimental and not be published anywhere.
2. Add some way to declare which version of Groovy a build script requires. Default would be 1.8.x.
3. At runtime, assert that the Groovy version baked into the distribution is compatible with the version that each script requires.
4. Change the plugin and script classpath resolution to infer the Groovy version required, from the dependency meta-data. Assert that the Groovy version baked into the distribution is compatible with what each plugin requires.

At this stage, it would be possible to build and use the Groovy 2 Gradle distribution, provided your build scripts are compatible with 2.x and all your plugins have been compiled with Groovy 2 (or don’t use Groovy). Gradle will detect when you run a build if this isn’t the case.

Then, we can start to improve things:

1. Change the Gradle CI pipeline to run the appropriate test suites against these variants.
2. Change the Gradle release promotion steps to publish the Groovy 2 variants.
3. Change the Gradle wrapper and tooling API to select the correct variant for a given build.
4. Introduce a Gradle plugin plugin and have it build and publish Groovy 1.8 and Groovy 2 variants of each plugin.
5. Change the plugin and script classpath resolution to select the appropriate plugin variant based on the runtime variant being used.

At this stage, we’d have full support for both Groovy 1.8.x and 2.x, and we’d choose the appropriate variant based on what the build needs at runtime.

Then, we’d probably deprecate the Groovy 1.8x runtime and eventually remove it. Over time, we’d also reduce some of the coupling between Gradle API and Groovy version, so that less of the runtime will need to be published as multiple variants.

We would also generalise the classpath resolution into general-purpose variant support for Groovy based components (and Scala based components too).

[...]

Jochen Theodorou
Am 24.02.2014 00:48, schrieb Daz DeBoer:

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
>     groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?
>

> Short answer: we can't switch to Groovy 2 without breaking compiled
> plugins, and we have a strict backward compatibility standard for minor
> releases.
 >
> Since we haven't deprecated support for Groovy 1.8.6, it's unlikely
> we'll remove support for this version in Gradle 2.0, our next major
> release.

your comment implies binary incompatibility. Maybe you did not mean
that, but Groovy 2 is binary compatible with even Groovy 1.0 - afaik

What you might wanted to say is that there have been API changes. If
they are only in DefaultGroovyMethods (and friends), then gradle can use
an extension module to provide a different behaviour quite easily.

Imho the real question is: what would really break if you used Groovy 2?
And I get th feeling, that nobody can answer that really in any, but one
case (a change in DefaultGroovyMethods, which gradle can fix on the
gradle side)

but I very well understand that gradle wants still to support Groovy 1.8.6.

> Instead, I believe the plan is to introduce the ability for Gradle to
> handle multiple Groovy versions. If this were done, it _should_ be
> possible to build and use Gradle on a platform that does not have 1.8.6
> support (perhaps with some tweaks to enable this). But adding this
> ability will be a non-trivial undertaking.

are there some experiences with that?

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Hello,

    Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
    groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?

Short answer: we can't switch to Groovy 2 without breaking compiled
plugins, and we have a strict backward compatibility standard for minor
releases.

Since we haven't deprecated support for Groovy 1.8.6, it's unlikely
we'll remove support for this version in Gradle 2.0, our next major
release.

your comment implies binary incompatibility. Maybe you did not mean that, but Groovy 2 is binary compatible with even Groovy 1.0 - afaik

What you might wanted to say is that there have been API changes. If they are only in DefaultGroovyMethods (and friends), then gradle can use an extension module to provide a different behaviour quite easily.

Thanks for the clarification. It seems like a few members of the Gradle team (myself included) were operating under the incorrect assumption that there was binary incompatibility between 1.x and 2.0, and that by moving to 2.0 _every_ plugin that was compiled against Groovy 1.x would need to be recompiled. This was considered an unacceptable situation, even moving to Gradle 2.0.

If the majority of compiled plugins would continue to function even if we changed Gradle to use Groovy 2.x, then we'd probably make the switch for the next major version of Gradle, which will happen in the next 6 months.

Imho the real question is: what would really break if you used Groovy 2? And I get th feeling, that nobody can answer that really in any, but one case (a change in DefaultGroovyMethods, which gradle can fix on the gradle side)

@Ioan, if you're still interested in helping out, it would be great to know just how many things will break with a change to Groovy 2. You could fork the Gradle project, make the change and the work on getting things running.
@Jochen if you've got bandwidth to assist, I'm sure your Groovy expertise would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Daz

Re: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Ioan Eugen Stan
Hello,

I've been watching the thread. I've cloned gradle and changed the
groovy dependency to 2.0.7 and got some errors:

----
efaultScriptCompilationHandler.java:95: error:
visitSource(String,String) in <anonymous
org.gradle.groovy.scripts.internal.DefaultScriptCompilationHandler$1$1$1>
cannot override visitSource(String,String) in ClassWriter
                            public void visitSource(String sourcePath,
String debugInfo) {
                                        ^
  overridden method is final
----

Forked the project, I'll try some changes when I get some free time.

Thanks,

On 27 Feb 2014, at 10:40 am, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I've been watching the thread. I've cloned gradle and changed the
groovy dependency to 2.0.7

We might as well jump straight to the latest Groovy 2.2.x release.

and got some errors:

----
efaultScriptCompilationHandler.java:95: error:
visitSource(String,String) in <anonymous
org.gradle.groovy.scripts.internal.DefaultScriptCompilationHandler$1$1$1>
cannot override visitSource(String,String) in ClassWriter
                           public void visitSource(String sourcePath,
String debugInfo) {
                                       ^
 overridden method is final

For the purposes of getting something to work, you can just comment out that overridden visitSource(). It doesn’t do anything important (at this stage).

----

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for all your support so far.

I've started hacking on gradle with groovy 2.2.1. So far so good. No
major changes required, except an upgrade for Spock to groovy2.2
version. I've pushed my changes here:
https://github.com/gradle/gradle/pull/253 .

I have some issues.

1. It takes an awful lot of time. I currently do: ./gradlw test ant it
build all modules until it fails. I make a change and then re-run hte
whole tests. How can I avoid this? In Maven I could see the project
reactor in a multi-module project and build individual projects.

2. How can I run a specific test class to make sure I fixed it before
running all tests.

3. I have no clue on how to fix the current failing tests so help if
very appreciated. You can find the current state in the pull request.

Cheers,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

index.html (163K) Download Attachment

RE: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Michael Putters
Hi,

You can use --<test-task>.single=xxx  (so, --integTest.single for integration tests, for example).

BR,

Michael

-----

RE: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Michael Putters
Woops, forgot the D in front of it (like a definition)

> [...]

> the gradle
> side)
>

> @Ioan, if you're still interested in helping out, it would be great to
> know just how many things will break with a change to Groovy 2. You
> could fork the Gradle project, make the change and the work on getting things running.
> @Jochen if you've got bandwidth to assist, I'm sure your Groovy
> expertise would be greatly appreciated.
>
> cheers
> Daz
>

> --
> Ioan Eugen Stan
> 0720 898 747

>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>

> --
> Adam Murdoch
> Gradle Co-founder
> http://www.gradle.org
> VP of Engineering, Gradleware Inc. - Gradle Training, Support,

Luke Daley-2
You should prefer --tests to -Dtest.single.

http://www.gradle.org/docs/1.10/release-notes#executing-specific-tests-from-the-command-line

> Michael Putters <mailto:[hidden email]>
> 2 March 2014 8:28 pm
> Woops, forgot the D in front of it (like a definition)

Hello again,

had a few hours to spare for this project. I didn't go far however. I
learned a bit of gradle to allow me to build sub projects and run
specific tasks, single tests.

I started ignoring failing tests and got up to failing cpp module.
This one fails for compiler issues (gcc returns with non zero result).
I presume I don't have all packages installed (I'm on Debian)

I've pushed all changes upstream. Could someone else try a build or
give me some hints on waht I should install/ where should I look for
more details?

````
Caused by: org.gradle.process.internal.ExecException: Process 'command
'/usr/bin/g++'' finished with non-zero exit value 1

java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot determine architecture for null
at org.gradle.nativebinaries.language.cpp.fixtures.binaryinfo.ReadelfBinaryInfo.getArch(ReadelfBinaryInfo.groovy:49)
at org.gradle.nativebinaries.language.cpp.NativeSamplesIntegrationTest.variants(NativeSamplesIntegrationTest.groovy:257)

````

[1] https://github.com/ieugen/gradle/tree/use-groovy-2.2

On 20 Apr 2014, at 11:41 am, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello again,

had a few hours to spare for this project. I didn't go far however. I
learned a bit of gradle to allow me to build sub projects and run
specific tasks, single tests.

I started ignoring failing tests and got up to failing cpp module.
This one fails for compiler issues (gcc returns with non zero result).
I presume I don't have all packages installed (I'm on Debian)

I've pushed all changes upstream. Could someone else try a build or
give me some hints on waht I should install/ where should I look for
more details?

You can skip over the cpp project. There’s a pretty good chance that if the other projects work (core and integTest in particular) then cpp should just work as well. Just use `-x cpp:integTest` to ignore these tests.

If you really want to run the tests for the cpp project, you’ll need to install the g++, objective-c and objective-cpp compilers and the multilib compiler packages (Or fix the tests so that they don’t assume that everything is installed if gcc happens to be installed).

````

Join us for Gradle Summit 2014, June 12th and 13th in Santa Clara, CA: http://www.gradlesummit.com

Re: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Ioan Eugen Stan
Hello Adam,

I've added Miguel (Debian Java Team) in CC.

I've ran the tests again ignoring the cpp integration tests and things
work fain. The build fails when doing docs:test task. Core project
passes tests and integration tests and I presume the failure is due to
re-basing on an instable branch.

I've ran: ./gradlew clean build -x cpp:integTest and got:

```
* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':docs:test'.
```
Could you give it a try? The patch is pretty small. I didn't do much
besides ignoring and comenting out some tests. I don't have the
knowledge to fix them yet, and probably an existing committer  would
fix them much faster.

Given the facts above: any change in the policy adopting Groovy 2.x
for Gradle? Debian Jessie  freezes sometime in November and we might
land Groovy 2.x if we move ok.

Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Daz DeBoer-2
Hi Ioan
Yes, we're committed to upgrading to Groovy 2.x for Gradle 2.0, which will be the next release of Gralde.
Clearly, there are quite a few things that will need fixing and patching to make Gradle work with Groovy 2.x. In some cases the fix is a simple rename, but simply commenting out things isn't really going to cut it.

If you're willing to dive in deep to try to fix the underlying issues that would be great. Otherwise, somebody with more Groovy experience will probably need to take this on.
Thanks
Daz

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hell Daz,

It's about 10 tests in 5 files commented, out of a few hundred. So
it's quite a small change. I don't have the time to dive deep in
Gradle. It's a too big of comitement to me and someone with more
Gradle experience will no doubt solve it much faster.

Good luck. I hope gradle 2 gets out fast.

Regards,

On 29 Apr 2014, at 6:23 pm, Ioan Eugen Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hell Daz,

It's about 10 tests in 5 files commented, out of a few hundred. So
it's quite a small change. I don't have the time to dive deep in
Gradle. It's a too big of comitement to me and someone with more
Gradle experience will no doubt solve it much faster.

I’ve started to look at this, and pushed a few compilation fixes. Haven’t pushed the change to Groovy 2.x yet.

I’ll try to push more fixes over the next week or so and then finally switch to Groovy 2.x.

Good luck. I hope gradle 2 gets out fast.

Me too.

Thanks for your help in getting the ball rolling on the switch to Groovy 2.x.

wrote:

[...]

I've seen the announcement about Gradle 2 getting out with Groovy 2.
Congratulations for all the hard work and thank you for taking time to
for this. I hope it's enough time to make it in Debian Jessie before
the freeze.

Regards,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Russel Winder-3
On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 10:36 +0300, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> I've seen the announcement about Gradle 2 getting out with Groovy 2.
> Congratulations for all the hard work and thank you for taking time to
> for this. I hope it's enough time to make it in Debian Jessie before
> the freeze.

What help is needed to ensure the freeze happens after Groovy 2 and
Gradle 2 are in Sid?

--
Russel.

Re: upgrade gradle to groovy 2

Russel Winder-3
Miguel,

> I already packaged Groovy 2 and is just waiting for approval[1] to reach
> sid.

How long does approval normally take, the package has been ready for > 5
weeks.

Is there a version in experimental?

> Regarding Gradle 2, a new package needs to be prepared and to check if
> all their dependencies are already in Debian or not. Nobody is working
> on this ATM, so help is appreciated.

I cannot start something from scratch but if there was a previous
package build framework that just needed amending, I could give it a go.
I am not really up on Debian packaging, is there a good tutorial I could
read in conjunction with working on the previous Gradle build framework?

> Cheers,
>

> 1. https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/groovy2_2.2.2+dfsg-1.html

This seems to have the indy Groovy 2.2.2 in one place and Groovy 2.2.1
artefacts elsewhere as well. I guess I am a bit confused by the package
contents. This is most likely because I am not au fait with the Debian
Java/Groovy policy and set up/

--
Russel.