Quantcast

user guide: Possible to exclude any "compile" dependencies from "runtime"?

user guide: Possible to exclude any "compile" dependencies from "runtime"?

KARR, DAVID
I'm just checking the accuracy of a statement in the user guide.

The set of dependencies in the "runtime" configuration includes the dependencies specified in the "runtime" section in addition to the dependencies specified in the "compile" section (I use the terms "configuration" and "section" to distinguish between the final dependency list used at build time, compared to the list of dependencies specified in the build script.

The user guide actually says "By default, also includes the compile time dependencies."  If you say "by default", that usually means you can change it.  So, is there any way in the "runtime" configuration to exclude dependencies that were specified in the "compile" configuration?

I know you can exclude "transitive dependencies", but it's not clear to me that this would represent a "transitive dependency".

Re: user guide: Possible to exclude any "compile" dependencies from "runtime"?

Luke Daley-2

On 8 July 2014 at 5:34:17 am, KARR, DAVID ([hidden email]) wrote:

I'm just checking the accuracy of a statement in the user guide.

The set of dependencies in the "runtime" configuration includes the dependencies specified in the "runtime" section in addition to the dependencies specified in the "compile" section (I use the terms "configuration" and "section" to distinguish between the final dependency list used at build time, compared to the list of dependencies specified in the build script.

The use of ‘section’ here is confusing.

The user guide actually says "By default, also includes the compile time dependencies." If you say "by default", that usually means you can change it. So, is there any way in the "runtime" configuration to exclude dependencies that were specified in the "compile" configuration?

Yes…

configurations {

  runtime.extendsFrom -= [compile]

}

—

[...]

I’m confused.  How does this exclude dependencies from the “compile” configuration?  This is just stating what I assume is the default, which is that the “runtime” configuration extends from the “compile” configuration.  Can you then exclude some of those dependencies “inherited” from the “compile” configuration?

—

Re: user guide: Possible to exclude any "compile" dependencies from "runtime"?

Daz DeBoer-2

[...]

Note the operator in Luke's example is '-=' (minus equals)

Darrell (Daz) DeBoer

[...]

Ah. The font made that hard to see.