Quantcast

user guide: "adding a dependency to the groovy configuration"

user guide: "adding a dependency to the groovy configuration"

KARR, DAVID
In chapter 9, "Groovy Quickstart", there is the following paragraph:
-------------------
To use the groovy compilation tasks, you must also declare the Groovy version to use and where to find the
Groovy libraries. You do this by adding a dependency to the groovy configuration. The compile
configuration inherits this dependency, so the groovy libraries will be included in classpath when compiling
Groovy and Java source. For our sample, we will use Groovy 2.2.0 from the public Maven repository:
------------------

The sample code associated with this paragraph is this:
---------------------
repositories {
mavenCentral()
compile 'org.codehaus.groovy:groovy-all:2.3.3'
}

The trivial problem is the text reference to "2.2.0" when the build script references '2.3.3".

However, this also refers to a "dependency to the groovy configuration".  That seems odd to me.  It's not the Groovy "configuration", it's just the Groovy library and its transitive dependencies.  Is this just a mistake, or is there some validity in referring to the "groovy configuration"?

Re: user guide: "adding a dependency to the groovy configuration"

Luke Daley-2

On 8 July 2014 at 6:41:24 am, KARR, DAVID ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

My preference would be to reword the text to avoid mentioning a version number.

 However, this also refers to a "dependency to the groovy configuration". That seems odd to me. It's not the Groovy "configuration", it's just the Groovy library and its transitive dependencies. Is this just a mistake, or is there some validity in referring to the "groovy configuration"?

You used to have to use a ‘groovy’ configuration. As of Gradle 2.0 you no longer can. You now use the ‘compile’ configuration.

—